Chapter 88: Smoke and Mirrors

Situ and General An exchanged a look upon hearing Li Hengba's statement. Situ raised an eyebrow.

"If that is the case, wouldn't you be a suspect as well?"

Li Hengba shook his head repeatedly, his face a mask of innocence and confusion. "How can that be! Although he is indeed a spy working for the royal family of the Huns, he's definitely not one of mine; I never let my spies use the tattoo. After all, it defeats the entire purpose of sending out a covert spy, doesn't it?"

General An nodded. "You are right indeed, Third Prince. Who do you think sent this spy, then?"

Li Hengba smiled. "Well, now that's a tough question to answer, General An. This is just my hypothesis, and my guess is as good as any." His gaze swept over Feng Luodi, but it did not go unnoticed by Situ beside him. "Most of my royal brothers back in the kingdom are without ambition, their lives bent on enjoying the benefits that come with their royal status. But my half-brother is different from them - his blood does put him in an awkward position at times, but it also gives him access to resources from both sides. He seems to be the most suspicious of all, in my opinion."

"Are you saying that this spy was sent by our Third Prince of the Xianbei?" General An was deep in thought.

"Like I said, it's just a wild guess. Take it with a pinch of salt, General An." Li Hengba shook his hand again. "If there isn't anything else for me, I'll head off for breakfast now then. You can approach me for help again anytime you need; I'll be glad to do so."

"Thank you for your help today morning then, Third Prince." General An bowed.

Li Hengba nodded, and shot a look at Situ. When he passed Feng Luodi, he stopped and turned to her, curiosity in his eyes. "May I have your name, young miss?"

Feng Luodi was taken aback for a second but quickly recovered. "My name is of no importance."

"How can that be! A woman that follows General Situ around is definitely one with distinguished abilities and status!"

From the corner of his eye, General An saw Situ's face change. It was the same look he wore to battle; he was looking at Li Hengba as if he was already dead.

"I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint you then, Master Li. I am but a simple woman." Feng Luodi shook her hand at Situ, asking him to leave the situation to her, out of view from Li Hengba. Situ's face relaxed somewhat. General An was surprised at their interaction.

"Don't you know that I am the Third Prince of the Huns?" Li Hengba wore his usual smile, but it made Feng Luodi downright uncomfortable. "Why do you still address me as 'Master'?"

"It is exactly because you are the Third Prince of the Huns that I will only address you as Master Li." A huge smile blossomed on her face. "You see, I am from the Xuan kingdom, and I will only address the royalty of my kingdom with honorifics."

A light flashed in his eyes, but Li Hengba quickly hid his anger at her words. "I see I wouldn't be able to learn your name then. So be it." He turned and sauntered out of the courtyard.

As soon as he was out of earshot, Feng Luodi turned to Situ. "How did I do? Was I brave enough?"

"You were." Situ nodded, his lips curling upwards into a smile. Only now does she act like someone her age.

General An smiled as well. "You faced him confidently, Miss Feng."

Now Feng Luodi was embarrassed. "My apologies, please continue with your discussions."

General An nodded and turned to Situ. "General Situ, what do you think of his words?"

Situ did not hesitate. "None of it was true. If you do need my help, General An, I can figure him out for you."