Chapter 168: Disorder in the Court

The imperial palace was forever so stately and solemn. The soldiers who guard the palace walls always kept a straight face while the handmaidens could only lower their heads as they walk by hurriedly. The officials who entered the palace from time to time all had a nervous expression on their faces.   Even the laughter in the imperial palace was suppressed. In the Imperial Garden, the white sasanqua camellias were struck with reverence and humility, the pink tea tree curled their bodies up in fear, the yellow oriental paperbush crowded around and embraced each other while the purple bougainvillaeas could not bear but turn its head away.    

There, everything was stifling and heavy. Yet, the lofty palace beyond the vermilion red, towering walls was what countless people yearned for.

The palace attendant led Situ and the First Prince all the way to the Imperial Study. He lowered his head and dared not talk to Situ or the First Prince. The two of them detected this strange atmosphere and exchanged glances with each other before quickly turning away.

After Palace Attendant Yu loudly announced their presence, Situ and the First Prince strode into the Imperial Study.

In the Imperial Study, other than the Emperor who held the power of the kingdom in his hands, and Palace Attendant Yu who had served him for many years, the Eighth Prince, Liu Ren, was present as well. Compared to the Emperor's expressionless countenance, the Eighth Prince appeared to be concerned but the icy coldness in his eyes only served to make him look more vicious.

"Your son and subject pays his respects, Father. May Father have good fortune and health."

"Your subject pays his respects to your Majesty. May your Majesty have good fortune and health."

The First Prince and Situ bowed deeply.

The Emperor's calm line of vision swept across them before he slowly commanded, "Rise."

"Thank you, Father."

"Thank you, Your Majesty."

The First Prince and Situ had just stood up when the Eighth Prince said beamingly, "It must have been really hard on Elder Brother and Duke of Anping to go to Dingtao Province to investigate the case. Father was extremely pleased when he saw the report."

Situ remained expressionless.

Deep down, the First Prince had a better understanding of how treacherous and vicious this Eighth Brother of his was.

"What Eighth Brother has said is wrong. We are all merely trying to help relieve Father's worries. There is nothing hard to speak about."

The Eighth Prince did not have time to refute when the Emperor had already spoken, "Nonetheless, it was indeed very tough this time. Many officials in the court are praising you a lot. I should also reward you. Tell me, what do you want?"

The First Prince's heart was filled with suspicions right now. Could it be that Father is not planning to investigate further about their game of words? The calmer the Emperor was, the more uneasy he felt in his heart. This was the disparity between one who sat in the top seat of power and all those beneath him.

"Thank you for your praise, Father. But it was all thanks to the Duke of Anping and the officials in Dingtao Province that I managed to get to the bottom of this case. I dare not claim credit for myself."

"No need to be modest, my Imperial Brother." The smile on the Eighth Prince's face widened, but he was a ruthless character behind a gentle appearance just like a needle concealed underneath layers of silk.

"Father has read all the reports and is aware of all the news sent from Ding Tao Province. For example, there's the Demonic Sect, the Xiaoyao Sect as well as those Jianghu people."