Chapter 37: Crisis

Feng Luodi did not sleep well that night. She spent her time in bed tossing and turning, trying to recall what little she knew of Feng Luodi's past 17 years of experience. The people she interacted with, the significant incidents that had happened, and the usual habits the body had had before she transmigrated into this world. Of course, the Chamberlain's order  preventing her from seeing Situ again added further distress. Father has always only concerned himself with his work in the Judicial Bureau, and I don't see any reason for him to interact with Situ, who's the General-in-chief of the North, at all. What does he have against Situ?

"Arghhhhh." Feng Luodi sat up in bed, frustrated by her string of idle thoughts. She ruffled her long hair and sighed heavily. "Why should I even be bothered with what Father thinks of Situ anyway? I'll have to return to my world sooner or later, and will never see any of these people again." She comforted herself and smacked her forehead. Ignoring the worry in her stomach, she quickly got dressed.

I'd better head to the antechamber to have breakfast with the family today, seeing as how Father was so upset last night.

Feng Luodi had braced herself for the open displeasure of her father when she entered the antechamber, but was shocked when she saw him sitting by the dining table. Is that man with the wide grin on his face really Father? Feng Luodi rubbed her eyes hard, closed them, and opened them again. Is that really the father that was fuming at me just last night?

"Luodi, why are you sitting there? Come and sit here."

Is it really a good thing that his mood has completely turned around in such a short time? Feng Luodi was a little hesitant as she walked over. She glanced around the room, quietly checking to see if there was another "Father" sitting around.

Fu Bo brought a bowl of porridge to her, and quietly whispered. "Young miss, you might not have heard the news yet, but the Second Lady is pregnant. She was feeling unwell today morning, and the physician had confirmed her pregnancy when he was called in for the diagnosis. You'll be having a younger brother or sister soon!"

Fu Bo's face was lit up in joy too. After all, it was indeed good news that the Second Lady is now pregnant. She had been married into the household for ten years, and it was definitely a surprising 'present' for the Chamberlain to receive another child.

Feng Luodi could feel the joy radiating from her father; while he barely ever smiled on a normal day, his eyes had almost disappeared beneath his ever-widening grin today. At least he'd already forgotten about my disobedience last night.

"Luodi, go and check on your Second Mam after breakfast."

"Yes, Father." Feng Luodi spoke into the bowl of porridge in front of her.

After breakfast ended in the antechamber, and the Chamberlain got ready for court, Feng Luodi slowly made her way to the Second Lady's courtyard. She could hear the flurry of noises coming from the courtyard far away as the servants busied about, tending to the Second Lady's needs and wants.

"Quick! Change this table into a rounded one. And remove that vase in the corner! Remember, nothing with a corner could be allowed in this room!" The wet nurse hired by the Second Lady gave out orders briskly.

"Yes, I'll get to it now."

"You! Go and get some soft furs from the store and lay them in the Lady's room!"

"Yes."

When Feng Luodi reached the entrance of the courtyard, a handmaiden was helping the Second Lady to her chair that sat in the sun. The Second Lady was all smiles, glowing with all the pride and bliss of a soon-to-be mother.

Feng Luodi looked up at the skies, and took a deep breath before entering.

"Young miss?" The handmaiden was the first to see Feng Luodi.