Chapter 142: The Storm's Arrival

Early Autumn was just like Summer, bringing with it a lot of rain. It came without any warning and in the blink of an eye the entire Chang'an's sky was covered with dark clouds. The people on the street just finished sighing and complaining that it was going to rain when large droplets of water started falling. The rain got heavier and pattered noisily against the roofs.

Jiang Moyin sat under the corridor, watching the raindrops fall to the ground. The world seemed to be only left with the sounds of the rain. It was very peaceful. However, the peace was soon broken by sets of hurried footsteps. A few men in straw caps rushed in from the antechamber.

"Master." the men bowed to Jiang Moyin. They all had a serious expression on their face.

Jiang Moyin looked at their face and knew the outcome. He asked with some hope, "Did you manage to stop them?"

The men looked at each other and one of them finally stepped out. His face was guilty as he answered, "Master, we are really sorry. Our men did not manage to stop the Heir's assassins from attacking the Duke of Anping residence. Neither did we manage to get any news of the outcome. We are too useless."

Jiang Moyin shook his head and remained silent.

The leader of the group looked at Jiang Moyin who was staring blankly at the grey sky and asked, "Master, what should we do now?"

Jiang Moyin retracted his gaze. His voice was indifferent with a hint of sadness that was hard to detect, "There is nothing I can do now. If you want to stay, you can look for the head steward."

The leader looked at Jiang Moyin's expression and wanted to say something. The person behind him quickly stopped him.

"Let Master have some time alone."

The man sighed and left with the others. The rain did not look like it was letting up anytime soon, the raindrops continuing their patter on the ground. His heart felt like it was being struck by every single drop of rain.

Jiang Moyin's heart pumped faster. He felt a gasp of wind behind him and heard heavy footsteps. He knew the person approaching wanted him to know of his arrival.

He was here.

"I'm sorry," Jiang Moyin leaned out of the corridor. The cold raindrops fell on his face, "I have guessed that the mastermind was the Heir but I did not tell you."

The owner of the footsteps was Situ. He stopped a distance away from Jiang Moyin and leaned against a pillar along the corridor. He looked at Jiang Moyin and said in a low voice, "I knew about it when you decided to quit your position as the Heir's teacher. It was not too late."

Jiang Moyin turned his back to Situ, his clothes billowing about his frail figure from the wind. "That was the only thing I could do after I found out what happened. But I still have to apologise. I chose him in the end."

Situ remained silent.

Jiang Moyin continued talking relentlessly, "A long time ago, the Heir and the First Prince were the same, morally upright and hardworking. Eight years later, the Heir changed but the First Prince did not. Does this means the First Prince has won?"

Situ rubbed his eyebrows. The past was always the hardest to let go.

"If there is no you, the First Prince would not win, right?" Jiang Moyin suddenly turned his head and smiled at Situ.

Situ remained indifferent.

"The Heir did the right thing," Jiang Moyin continued smiling, "but you are too powerful."

"Moyin," Situ called.

"I am tired. You can leave, Situ. I have accepted the outcome. I have lost in every single aspect." Jiang Moyin was still filled with smiles.