Chapter 188: Imminent Peril

This day, two events were about to take place in the Xuan Kingdom, at Chang'an City. One of them was that Chamberlain Feng's eldest daughter, Feng Luodi, would be decapitated at noon. The execution would directly be carried out outside the court prison and commoners weren't permitted to get close. The second event was that the General-in-Chief of the Northern Army, Situ Muye, would leave Chang'an for the deserts of the North to patrol the borders under imperial order.

However, it was totally unexpected that something else would happen in this day.

A day later, the Xuan Kingdom's court would appoint the First Prince as the heir to the throne. The commoners only knew some rumours so they naturally weren't aware of the surging undercurrents in court. The people involved were able to discern the situation clearly, but they were powerless, not able to do anything about it.

Feng Luodi stood in the prison cell spread with rice straws and indifferently looked at the prison guards bustling about outside the prison.

She wasn't foolish, so she could naturally tell that ever since the day she'd entered the court prison, the security laid out had been extremely lax. She even suspected that if she were to find a way to break through the fence locked with chains, she could directly escape by herself.

But, she couldn't escape. If she obediently allowed herself to be arrested without putting up any resistance, she wouldn't implicate her family members. But if she escaped, the consequence would be the nine familial exterminations.

She didn't wish for Situ to come to save her. If he came to rescue her, he would fall into the Emperor's trap. Then, the Feng Residence and the Situ Family would be implicated. Then, this wouldn't be simply an issue of reclaiming Situ's military power.

She knew that Situ would return to save her. Ever since Jiang Moyin came the last time, she had been having this premonition. Situ wouldn't give up on her. He wouldn't abandon her. She, on the other hand, thought of abandoning Situ...

"How foolish..."

Feng Luodi shut her eyes and concealed the painful expression in her eyes.

The prison guards were still putting on an act and there were soldiers going in and out of the court prison continuously.

The court prison was originally dingy and damp. Light wasn't able to penetrate that place all year round, as if it was to create some kind of desolate miasma before one's death.

Ten days was sufficient to let that dampness bite into her bones. Feng Luodi would occasionally feel her fingers stiffen and she would feel her blood not circulating as freely. She had to endure. She couldn't make any sound and give those people a chance to spread rumours out, troubling the people outside.

Even if sunlight could not stream into the court prison all year round, the idle Feng Luodi could still count the days in her heart. She knew exactly what time it was and which hour it was.

And, as she counted to this day, she knew that it was about to be noon soon.

"According to conventions, you should eat your last meal in this world before departure."

A prison guard brought a  and took out the dishes one by one. It indeed looked like a sumptuous meal.

Feng Luodi cast a sidelong glance at the dishes, but she didn't walk over.

The third day she was confined in the court prison, Jiang Moyin came to pay her a visit and brought her food. Ever since then, she only ate the food sent by the people from the Jiang Residence. As for the food provided by the prison guards, she didn't dare to touch them.