Chapter 48: Autumnal Meet

With the antidote being produced by the hospitals, the case of mass poisoning that had plagued the streets of Chang'an had finally came to a rest. Though the North Avenue was still sealed off, the attention of the citizens have been drawn to the upcoming Autumnal Meet. The Autumnal Meet is a yearly affair where ambassadors from the surrounding kingdoms came forth with offerings for the Emperor, attracting many traders from all over the world to set up bazaars and markets in the capital. It is suffice to say that it is an important event for all.

The Autumnal Meet was traditionally planned and executed by the Grand Herald[1. One of the Nine Chamberlains, in charge of Imperial celebrations and ceremonies.] , but this year, the Emperor had entrusted the responsibility to the Heir Apparent. Of course, this'd stirred the various undercurrents in the court, where officials have already started to choose their allegiance to the different princes.

The responsibility on the Heir weighed down upon Jiang Moyin as well. Jiang Moyin had yet to recover from his sickness, and was barred from leaving the house by Feng Luodi, only able to advise the Heir through letters and scriptures. As Situ had said to Jiang Moyin that day, the rest of the case of mass poisoning was to be left to Gan Qingjia who quickly got to work, vastly different from the playful person he usually was. With that out of the way, Situ was now free of responsibilities. His work lay mainly in the North where it was overseen by his subordinates, and all he had to do was to read the routine reports sent to him. It was not up to him to interfere in the matters of the court and its complicated undercurrents, nor did he like to interact with the various bootlicking officials who often came to look for him. Jiang Moyin was sick, Gan Qingjia was busy with the tasks entrusted to him, and even Xue Yiqi was occupied with his duties as the a captain of the Imperial Army. The only person left that he could look for was Feng Luodi, who could only be found in Jiang Moyin's household.

Situ sat alone under the pine tree in his courtyard, slowly sipping a flask of wine. A few of his Covert Guard lay flat on a nearby roof, starry-eyed as they stared at their invincible General in awe.

"The General is so amazing! I can never get sick of looking at his commanding figure! He is always so handsome!" Zero stared at Situ, his hands supporting his head.

One slapped him on his head. "His lonely figure is as attractive and handsome as when he is commanding!"

Zero looked at him, confused. "How is the General lonely?" He pushed One to the side. "The word 'lonely' will never apply to our General. Not in a hundred years!"

One smiled. "You can't be certain of that."

Zero scrambled to his feet and tackled One. "Stop saying bad things about the General!" The few other of the Covert Guards in the area simultaneously poked their head out to check the commotion.

Situ shot a glance in their direction. Zero and One separated in the blink of an eye and stood three feet away from each other, their hands cupping their mouths. The rest of the Guards stifled their laughter as they slinked back to their positions. What's wrong with the General today? No matter how much of a commotion we'd caused in the past, he would never take any notice of it. Did we hit a sore spot?

Situ calmly sipped his wine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The days flew past, and it was the day of the Autumnal Meet. According to the rules, all officials ranked 4th and above in Chang'an would have to attend the feast set for the various ambassadors. Situ had brought Gan Qingjia into the palace early in the afternoon, and Xue Yiqi was busy with preparations for the arrival of the officials and ambassadors.

Meanwhile, Jiang Moyin slowly pushed himself out of his bed and put on his formal clothes.

"Grand Tutor." Lu Bo looked at him worriedly. "You are not well enough to go for the feast yet. You'll definitely fall ill again after the feast tonight!"