Chapter 67: Consequence

Despite Feng Luodi's absence, the Autumnal Hunt ended fruitfully. However, the highlight of the hunt this year  was not the various game caught by the participants, nor the successful bonfire hosted by the Heir, but the detainment of the 7th Prince by the Judicial Bureau.

Chamberlain Feng had not returned home in the days following the end of the Autumnal Hunt, waist-deep in the investigation assigned to him. He was given full reign over the investigation, but he was aware how thin a line he was treading, investigating the crimes of the royalty. Of course, there was much more evidence to support the 7th Prince's misdeeds along with those already uncovered at the Autumnal Hunt.

"Your Majesty, we have evidence that the 7th Prince has accepted bribes from the Governor of the Yelang* Commandery, in order to suppress  the murder case in the Commandery involving eleven serial murders."

"Your Majesty, the 7th Prince has forcefully abducted and kept eight innocent young women of Chang'an in his residence."

"Your Majesty, I have evidence that the 7th Prince has been encouraging his Household defender to plunder the resources of commoners.

...............

The Emperor's face darkened as the days went by and the accusations against the 7th Prince stacked up. He could have stripped the prince of his royalty and cast him into the Imperial Prison, but he did not. Many speculated that the Emperor was unable to do so to the prince because, after all, he was of his own blood. Chamberlain Feng understood the complicated emotions the Emperor was feeling, but had no choice but to dig further to fulfill his duties.

"Why hasn't the Emperor charged him yet?" Feng Luodi was confused. "I'm sure they have more than enough evidence on hand to indict him. Or is it because he cannot bear to destroy his own son?"

Jiang Moyin shook his head. "The Emperor is much more ruthless than that."

The two of them were sitting in a private room at the famed zither parlour Flowers of Fog. The melodious voice of Crystal, the famed songstress of the parlour, floated through the doors. Qi Jianqiu and Gan Qingjia sat at the table as well, entranced by the skillful singing, while Xue Yiqi kept looking out of the door, anticipating Situ's arrival.

"You don't understand why now, do you?" Gan Qingjia interrupted their conversation. "Of course the Emperor wants to indict the prince because of his misdeeds - and don't even get me started on that list. But," Gan Qingjia held a slender finger in the air, "Concubine Shu, the mother of the 7th Prince, is the daughter of the previous Minister of the Left. Although the man has resigned, many of his past followers and subordinates still remain in office, and can still be a force to be reckoned with. Unless there is a reason important enough to calm those officials, the 7th Prince will not be stripped of his royal status."

"That is correct." Jiang Moyin nodded in approval.

Qi Jianqiu stared suspiciously at Gan Qingjia, not believing that he was capable of such an intelligent deduction. For a brief moment, she almost saw Gan Qingjia as something other than a useless playboy, but he gave her his usual flirtatious smile and she turned away immediately. I must have been mistaken. I'm sure he'd heard that from the Minister of the Left.

Feng Luodi smiled. "I never knew that even those in power have so much to consider. I'd originally thought that he would have at least been exiled, simply because of his attempted assassination on the Heir."

The few of them stared at her, and shook their heads. "That is impossible. Of course, if a commoner was to assassinate the Heir, his entire clan would be killed. But after all, the 7th Prince is of royal descent. The worst that can happen to him is to throw him a plot of land somewhere else in the kingdom, and ban him from ever entering Chang'an again."