Chapter 98: The Heir of Huaiyang

As the exchange between Chu Huaicai and Situ was going on, Feng Luodi repeatedly tried to wriggle free from Situ's embrace but no avail. She felt a clear sense of danger emanating from Situ when Chu Xiaoxiao called her a "lowly peasant".

Chu Xiaoxiao sensed it as well and she shivered involuntarily. Chu Huaicai quickly pulled her closer to him and smiled at Situ. "My little sister can be a little insensitive and careless; I'll give her a good lecture when we get back."

"Are you agreeing with her words, Heir of Huaiyang?" A storm was brewing in the eyes of Situ.

Chu Huaicai stiffened considerably. He turned to Feng Luodi. "How may I address you, young miss? Please allow me to apologize on behalf of my sister. I hope that you'll not press the issue anymore."

Chu Xiaoxiao pulled his sleeve, upset at his apology. "Brother, why are you apologizing to her! I didn't do anything wrong back there!"

Feng Luodi rolled her eyes inwardly at Chu Xiaoxiao's lack of awareness. "I was never the one making things hard for our...Commandery Princess here; she was the one constantly creating trouble for us. Your words are meaningless and fake; I have no need for your apology."

Situ's face relaxed a little upon hearing her words. Now that's the Feng Luodi I know.

Anger flashed in Chu Huaicai's eyes, but he quickly hid it.

"How dare you speak to my brother like that!" Chu Xiaoxiao stepped forward with her hand raised, poised to strike Feng Luodi.

Before she could bring her hand down, her knees buckled and she knelt on the floor in front of Feng Luodi.

"Xiaoxiao!" Chu Huaicai quickly helped her to her feet. "Are you alright? What happened?"

"I...don't know." Chu Xiaoxiao looked around, confused. "My legs suddenly gave way."

"Would you like to have your legs give way as well, Heir of Huaiyang?" Situ spoke up.

Chu Huaicai's face changed multiple times and he took a deep breath. "I thank you for your magnanimity, Duke of Anping." He stopped Chu Xiaoxiao who was about to lash out at Situ.

Situ glanced at Feng Luodi, whose attention was already diverted elsewhere. He turned back to Chu Huaicai. "I think it's best if the both of you refrain from patronizing this restaurant in the future so that such a lack of hospitality will not befall you again."

The owner of the restaurant breathed a sigh of relief; Situ had effectively protected them from any retribution the Heir and his sister might dish out in the future.

Chu Huaicai's face darkened even more, but he swallowed his pride and bowed at Situ. "We understand." He turned and walked into the crowd, dragging his sister with him.

Situ shot a glance at the crowd of onlookers, who dispersed as quickly as they'd gathered.

"Let's go." Situ started walking towards Moonglade, Feng Luodi following behind him.

As they turned a corner, Feng Luodi looked at Situ. "Thank you for what you did back there."

"Nothing new." Situ did not look at her.

Feng Luodi mumbled under her breath. "I could've handled the situation on my own back there."

"And get whipped a few times?" Situ chided.

Feng Luodi shot a glance at Situ. "That was but a mere hiccup."

"Why are you out alone on the streets? Where are your handmaidens?"

Feng Luodi took a deep breath. "I didn't know you had so much free time on your hands, such that you could care about such trivial matters."

"Nothing is ever trivial when it comes to you," Situ said a-matter-of-factly.