Chapter 42: Crisis

The epidemic was assigned to be jointly investigated by the Duke of Anping, Situ Muye, and the Administrator of Chang'an. The yamen was responsible for recording the addresses of patients at the hospitals and recording what they could find out about the daily habits of the afflicted patients. They were to tighten their security and patrols around the city, especially around the wells and water sources in the city.

Situ led the Imperial Army in a detailed sweep of the city and its surrounding grounds, taking note of any suspicious persons or activities that might be related to the poisoning. Soldiers were stationed in every estate in the city, keeping a watchful eye over each neighbourhood for any suspicious activities.

The operations and actions carried out by the army and yamen seemed to satisfy most of the unrest amongst the citizens, and the situation quietened down a little. The Emperor was satisfied with the result, but now Situ and the Administrator were troubled: they had yet to find the source of the poison, and the people were still at risk.

Meanwhile, in the Feng household, a horrific incident happened.

A few days ago, the Second Lady had returned to her parents' household with an entourage to take care of her sickly mother. However, she had felt a sudden pain in her abdomen when she had returned to the Feng household. Luckily, the First Lady took over, giving instructions to the handmaidens based on her previous experience while she was pregnant, and the condition of the Second Lady quickly stabilised. The head steward hastily went to invite the physician, while the Chamberlain and the First Lady stayed with the Second Lady.

"Didn't he say that the Second Lady's condition was stable before? How could this happen all of a sudden!" The Chamberlain was extremely worried as he paced around the room.

The First Lady stood supported by a handmaiden. "Babies can only be said to be truly safe after three months, and sister* might have moved too vigorously when she was on the trip. Don't worry, both her and the baby will be fine after taking medicine prescribed by the physician."

"Mmm." The Chamberlain grunted non committedly as he continued pacing around the room, his eyes trained only on the Second Lady, who was obviously in pain.

The First Lady's face fell, and Feng Luodi quickly stepped forward to support her. "Mother, you have been standing for far too long, why don't you sit down and rest for a while. The physician will be here soon."

The room was full of tension as they anxiously waited. Suddenly, Fu Bo came in panting heavily, the physician behind him.

"Doctor, please take a look at my wife, and tell me what is wrong with her!" The Chamberlain had apprehension written all over his face.

The physician calmly sat down, and placed two fingers on the Second Lady's wrist. When he was done reading her pulse, he swiftly wrote down a prescription and handed it to a waiting attendant. "Fill in the prescription quickly. Prepare ten bags of the herbs stated, and boil it until only one-third of the water remains."

The attendant quickly ran out of the room.

"Why is the Lady in pain? How is the baby doing?" The Chamberlain quickly cut in.

The physician shook his hand reassuringly. "Both the Lady and the baby are fine."

Heaving a sigh, the Chamberlain finally sat down in his chair.

"The Lady had been afflicted with the same poison now spreading throughout Chang'an, and that is the reason for her cramps. Although the Lady has always been in the pink of health, her pregnancy had made her more susceptible to the effects of the poison. Luckily, her condition quickly stabilised before I came, and she'll just need more rest and some simple medication to nurse her health back to the way it was. However, she should take note not to leave the household during this sensitive period, and it would be best if she stayed indoors at all times."

Transmigration: of Mysteries and Songsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें