Chapter 180: Vicious

Today, Situ was brimming with vigour and in an extremely cheerful mood. Regardless of whether it was the family guards, maidservants, pages or the covert guards, they could all sense his ecstatic mood.

Another happy occasion was that the Eldritch Physician, Xia Jingfeng, had come up with a medical prescription for treating the epidemic. He was able to cure the young Feng Fuyou and the pregnant Qi Jianqiu one after another. Subsequently, he was not stingy in providing the prescription to the various medical centres in Chang'an, thus saving the lives of the majority of Chang'an's citizens.

On the other hand, Imperial Physician Zhou met with an unforeseen accident.

The Eldritch Physician was unwilling to have dealings with the officials and nobles. Therefore, he directly gave the prescription to Imperial Physician Zhou for him to present it to the Emperor as well as to popularise it in the whole of the Xuan Kingdom. However, the news that spread from the palace was that an unknown Imperial Physician Duanmu had presented the prescription. The Emperor was delighted and immediately promoted that Imperial Physician as the Consul General of the Imperial Physician Bureau, an official post of the Second Rank.

At the same time, Imperial Physician Zhou was found dead in a desolate small lane in his residence. A dagger had robbed him of his life and the scarlet red on the ground had already dried up.

Situ's joyful mood immediately dissipated upon hearing this news. Imperial Physician Zhou and Old General Situ were old friends. He had been secretly helping the Situ Family all these years and put in much effort for their family. But now, despite helping the dying and healing the injured for all his life, Imperial Physician Zhou's corpse was left in the open while that murderer was walking around the Imperial Physician Bureau commandingly with that facade of his.

"I have underestimated the Duanmu Family Clan."

Situ's gripped one end of the chair with his hand and forcefully crushed the whole armrest into pieces.

Covert Guard Two suddenly appeared. Even a composed person like him had on an extremely worried expression at this moment. They had never thought that Concubine Shu's clan would actually make a move on Imperial Physician Zhou, the only Imperial Physician the Emperor had trusted before.

Someone far away in the deserts of the North could still extend his hand to torment people in Chang'an. Killing intent tossed about in Covert Guard Two's eyes but it was soon drowned out by Situ's pervasive killing aura.

Covert Guard Two hastily looked down, feeling startled in his heart. It seems that General's desire to kill has been stirred. That Imperial Physician Duanmu and the Eighth Prince's faction...General would make living more painful than dying for them.

At the morning court assembly the next day, there were officials who proclaimed Imperial Physician Duanmu's glorious achievements, their tone implying that they seemed to think that the position of the Imperial Physician Bureau's Consul General conferred by the Emperor was far from enough. After all, this was someone who'd saved countless commoners, hence he'd protected the Emperor's reputation after all was said and done.

As suggested by Situ, Gan Qingjia and the rest kept silent and they merely watched from the sidelines, not interfering with this matter.

The Emperor seemed to be in a rather good mood these past two days. There was a rare smile on his face and he didn't look as deranged as he did previously. His health had seemingly improved as well since his gaunt cheeks were slightly plumper now and his complexion was no longer sallow.

Were the officials actually feeling happy or complicated in their heart?

After listening to those few officials, the Emperor's lips curled upwards and he asked in a hoarse voice, "Then what position do you think should be given to Imperial Physician Duanmu?"