Chapter 169: Never Letting You Go

The last snow of the year was falling. The winds were getting warmer, but still the snow fell, as if it hasn't had enough time in the world. Looking down from the window on the second floor of the teahouse, one could see the piles of snow on the top of the pine tree by the entrance, but yet the pine tree stood tall and straight, welcoming the guests that approached. The mountains in the distance were bathed in amber dusk, looking as if they'd emerged from the fire, coated in the snow that glimmered with the radiance of moonlight. Plum trees in full blossom lined the roads that led into the hills, adding to the splendour of the winter. Amongst the snaking alleyways, the fragrance of plum blossoms wound its way around.

Feng Luodi stared out of the window for a while, but the one she waited for has not yet arrived. Her gaze shifted to the private courtyard built in the grounds of the teahouse instead. The pastel coloured leaves of the pear trees fall from their perches amongst the trees, unable to withstand the cold, and snow has gathered on the bamboo, weighing them down but never breaking. Feng Luodi was a little confused as to why Situ would send a message for her to meet at the teahouse.

Did something happen? Or is he merely trying to make this a romantic date? Feng Luodi laughed. No way that blockhead would understand anything about romance.

But I'll rather stay and wait instead of going back home to see Jianqiu and Miss Shanguan go at each other.

For some reason, on the day of their return, Feng Luodi had only just introduced Shangguan Yan to her mother when the married Qi Jianqiu rushed to the Feng residence. Right in Feng Luodi's cosy courtyard, the two beautiful women waged an invisible war with each other, unseen sparks flying through the air, and Feng Luodi was perplexed as to the cause of their animosity towards each other.

Despite her cleverness, she could not claim to understand that woman, much less guess that Shangguan Yan was viewing Qi Jianqiu as her love rival. Of course, Feng Luodi did not mention the past between Xue Yiqi and Qi Jianqiu to her, but Shangguan Yan was a resourceful woman, and quickly learned about Xue Yiqi's previous interest in the Beauty of Chang'an. Meanwhile, Qi Jianqiu's feelings were much simpler. She saw Luodi as her best friend, and her return with Shangguan Yan, a girl whose beauty rivalled her own, sparked the jealousy and protectiveness in her.

That was the reason behind each of their actions, but unfortunately, such was not known by the other party, and the two beautiful women continued their conversation in veiled animosity, often by directing their conversation onto other things. Jet and Scarlet did not dare to intervene at all, and their only hope, Feng Luodi, had already abandoned them to their plight as soon as she received word from the Covert Guard.

Are they gonna throw a hissy fit when they realise I'm not there anymore? The image came to Feng Luodi's mind and she laughed lightly.

A gust of wind blew towards her, carrying the scent she was so familiar with, and the voice that was laced with exhaustion. "What are you thinking about that got you all smiley?"

Feng Luodi heard the tiredness in his voice and turned around, only to find herself in a warm embrace. She rested her chin on his chest and raised her eyes to look at him, worry evident in her eyes. "What's wrong?"

Situ ran her hands through her hair and a sliver of a smile graced his lips. "Chang'an is going to be thrown into chaos, and so is the kingdom. Are you afraid?"

He'd just came from Gan Qingjia's place, and this was the first place he went after bidding goodbye to the First Prince, his heart laden with thoughts. On his way, he was informed by the Covert Guards that someone was watching Feng Luodi, someone even the Covert Guards could not locate. And that only meant one thing - that the Emperor had mobilised the Blood Shadow. He'd expected that to happen, but he never thought that the Emperor would be despicable enough to target the woman he loves. Has he found my weakness? Perhaps the plan has to be adjusted again, but what would we be left with afterwards?