Chapter 89: The Truth

Naturally, a man as smart as Li Hengba quickly figured out the cooperation between Situ and General An. But all he could do was to play along with the trap they had laid out for him, lest he wanted to drop all pretense in front of them. Meanwhile, the situation back in the kingdom of the Huns was getting ever more crucial as the days progress, each of the princes vying for the throne, with the favourites being the First and Third princes.

He had hoped to garner some support from the Xianbei kingdom through the wedding of the Crown Prince, and now his death, while the First Prince was busy trying to settle his own problems back home. However, the tables have now turned on him. He was now stuck in the Xianbei kingdom, trying to maintain a false pretence while his royal brother slowly eats away at his influence back in the kingdom of the Huns. If he did not do anything about the situation, the throne would be out of his grasp soon enough.

Li Hengba nodded at General An. "You are right. Please allow me to return to my courtyard, then. Feel free to question me anytime you need."

General An nodded back at him. "I thank you for your cooperation, Third Prince."

Li Hengba forced out a smile and left the courtyard. As soon as they were out of earshot, he hissed at his attendant.

"What's the situation like right now?" His expression was dark and foreboding.

"It hasn't hit rock bottom yet, but that's soon to come if you don't head back to stabilise the situation, your Highness."

"I know that!" Li Hengba stomped into his courtyard, kicking the stone table in frustration. "Damn you, Situ Muye. What role do you exactly play in this?"

One of his attendants advised carefully, "Why don't you just tell them the truth, so that they'll allow you to return home?"

"You're asking me to give up on the support of the Xiongnu kingdom? That's impossible; it plays a crucial factor for me to succeed the throne."

Another stepped forward. "Why don't we simply smuggle the prince back home?"

Li Hengba pondered the idea for a moment, but denied the possibility. "They're definitely waiting for me to do that; I cannot walk straight into their trap just like that."

The first attendant suggested another method. "If we now know that General Situ is behind all of this, why don't we focus on stopping him instead?"

"Situ Muye is not one to be so easily manipulated." Li Hengba rejected it quickly, but something came to mind. "But he does seem to have a weakness right now. That certainly does change things." He waved the attendant over. "I need you to do something for me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back in General An's study, Situ and General An sat facing each other. "What shall we do next?"

"We wait for another hour before sending one of your men to look for him again. He might not tell us everything, but what he says will be enough for you to identify the murderer."

"Sounds like a plan." General An exclaimed and changed the topic, his voice turning soft. "You really have changed Situ. The you in the past wouldn't have helped us at all."

Situ smiled, but did not comment.

General An chuckled. "I've known you for a long while, and this is the first time I've ever seen you around a woman. What's up? Planning to start your own family?"

"Well, fate brought us together." Situ was honest.

General An smiled. "That's good to hear. I've always believed that the North will be a peaceful place to be as long as you were in charge. I have more reason to believe in that, now that you're no longer alone."