Chapter 140: Performance

While Situ and Gan Qingjia waltzed their days away in romance, Xue Yiqi was stuck in the investigation of the assassination in assistance of the Eighth Prince. He watched as the prince threw tantrum after tantrum, not able to make any headway on the case, but had his own orders and could only feed him the information when the time was right.

"Why am I even paying you to work for me? Useless imbeciles! Is there even anything that you know?" The Eighth Prince raged at his followers in his residence. The men in his antechamber bowed their heads quietly, for fear of attracting the noble's wrath.

An attendant approached the antechamber, keeping his gaze averted from the prince's contorted face. "Your Highness, Assistant General Xue is requesting to meet you."

"Assistant General Xue? Who's that?" The Eighth Prince frowned, irritated. "Can't you see that I'm busy right now? No."

One of his advisors reminded the prince as gently as he could. "Your Highness, Assistant General Xue is the son of the Defender-in-Chief of the kingdom. He is assigned to aid you in the investigation by Imperial decree."

"Xue Yiqi?" The frown deepened. "Isn't he just a Lieutenant? Why is he promoted so quickly?"

The advisor reminded again. "He has already been promoted for a month."

The Eighth Prince glared at the advisor, but turned to the attendant. "Send him in."

The attendant left and soon returned with Xue Yiqi behind him. Along with Xue Yiqi were a few of his soldiers, each holding a man bounded by chains.

"Your Highness." Xue Yiqi bowed to the Eighth Prince and glanced around the room.

The prince forced a smile. "Assistant General Xue, who are these people?"

"They are the assassins who'd attempted to take the life of the General of the Left of the Northern Army. They might be of use to you in the investigation."

The eyes of the Eighth Prince lit up immediately and took a few steps towards Xue Yiqi. "I am immensely grateful for your help, Assistant General Xue!"

Xue Yiqi bowed humbly. "It is my duty." He took another look around the room, taking in the advisors of the Eighth Prince with their bowed heads. "You seem occupied, your Highness. If that is the case, I shall take my leave for now."

The Eighth Prince smiled as he walked Xue Yiqi to the entrance of the antechamber. "Sorry for the trouble this has caused to you, Assistant General Xue. I do have matters to discuss with my advisors, and I shall not keep you any longer."

"No problem." Xue Yiqi smiled and left the residence, taking note of the layout of the prince's residence on his way out.

As soon as Xue Yiqi was gone, the Eighth Prince turned towards his attendant and gestured towards the assassins. "Bring them away. Make sure you get the information you need. By any means necessary."

"Yes, your Highness."

The prince resumed his meeting with his advisors, and it was not long before the attendant returned with news.

"Your Highness, I have uncovered the mastermind."

"Who is it?" The Eighth Prince was eager to prove himself before the Emperor.

"I threatened the assassins with the lives of the families, and they finally spilt the beans." He paused for a moment. "They were under the orders of the Heir."

The Eighth Prince was stunned for a second, then roared in laughter. "The Heavens are smiling upon me! Surely Father will not be able to protect the Heir again like he did the other time. Haha, my Heir, you must be very desperate for you to attempt an assassination on Father's prized Generals!"