Chapter 186: Pressing In at Every Step

Duke of Anping's Residence.

It was midsummer and the weather was scorching hot.

The Duke of Anping's Residence's training ground was surrounded by people. Their general was still donned in armour with a  in his hand. As he practised sparring with others, his swordplay remained unrestrained and focused, like he was cutting through mountains and rivers. His every move was as powerful as a thunderbolt, so the others didn't dare to belittle him.

Situ switched opponent over and over again. Every single one of them ashamed and perspiring profusely as they were substituted. On the other hand, although Situ was breaking out in a sweat, the fierce look on his face didn't diminish. His sharp eyes, pursed lips and increasingly fierce moves revealed his current mood.

The soldiers, who were standing at one side, watched him in awe. They respected and feared their general. From how things looked now, it felt as if their general had returned to how he was a few years ago, bathed in blood as he fought valiantly with no shred of mercy. He was callous and cruel, but he'd protected the nation's territory and deployed troops adeptly, instilling fear in the enemy troops.

Not afar, Ji Buhui sighed when he witnessed this scene. He looked at Gan Qingjia beside him and asked, "He's been like this since he left the court assembly. What happened during the court assembly again?"

Ji Buhui was older than Gan Qingjia by a few years and was used to the scenes of slaughter on the battlefield. After returning to the peaceful Chang'an, he was helpless when faced with all the schemes and machinations. He felt apathetic towards the officials who put on a facade every day with a smile plastered on their face, while scheming behind others' backs. The only person he acknowledged was this young Imperial Treasurer.

He appeared flirtatious on the surface but he could, in fact, solve many conundrums by simply talking and laughing. While enjoying life, he handled the matters in court very well. This kind of person is hard to come by. That's why they say that their general has the most discerning eye for people.

Gan Qingjia sighed almost inaudibly.

"His Majesty had requested for Situ to set off for the deserts of the North three days later to patrol the borders."

Ji Buhui furrowed, laying bare the viciousness in the recesses of his eyes.

"But isn't Miss Feng going to be decapitated three days later? His Majesty is intentionally coercing General."

"Exactly!"

Gan Qingjia rubbed the space between his eyebrows in vexation. He has been keeping Jianqiu in the dark about Feng Luodi being sent to prison. But judging by the current state of affairs, Situ will ultimately be left with one choice. Once he steps on that path, there's no going back.

"The news about Feng Luodi going on a hunger strike was also spread according to His Majesty's instructions. Based on that young lady's temperament, she's definitely capable of doing something like this to alleviate the burden on Situ's shoulders. But, doing so was equivalent to thrusting a sword into Situ's heart."

One was unyielding while the other obstinate. It was precisely the outcome His Majesty wishes to see. When Gan Qingjia thought about the Emperor, coldness emerged in his eyes.

According to his spies, the Emperor actually used Concubine Yao in his schemes. Logically speaking, she should be showered with greater honour and favour after giving birth to an imperial child. However, the Emperor was giving her the cold shoulders at this critical juncture. His aim was to warn the Minister of the Right.

In the past, he married Concubine Yao to set the Minister of the Right's mind at ease. Now, he was threatening him instead. As expected, emperors are heartless. They could stoop so low as to exploit their partners and their closest flesh and blood. Will there be a day where that gentle and benevolent First Prince will become like this? The desire for power can control one's heart.