Chapter 32: Animus

Though immensely grateful for Linglong loaning Wind Crane to her, Feng Luodi felt an innate desire to minimise her interaction with her. Some things cannot be explained rationally, just like how she had taken to Qi Jianqiu immediately, but wanted to stay away from Linglong.  What is she trying to do this time, bringing up Jianqiu?

Linglong blinked her eyes, a slight smile gracing the corners of her lips. Her slender fingers tapped the teacup lightly and she poured a cup of tea for Feng Luodi.

"Why don't you have a seat, and hear me out slowly, Miss Feng. I interact with many nobles on a daily basis, and as a result, know a great deal of secrets."

Feng Luodi hesitated for a moment before sitting down, placing Wind Crane on the table. She took a sip of the tea. "You have my attention, Miss Linglong."

Linglong took out another zither from the side of the room, and started testing the strings lightly. "There have been a great many gossips about you and the 7th Prince lately, Miss Feng. I was deeply impressed by your mastery of the zither that day, and asked the prince about the previously arranged marriage between the two of you afterwards. Combining with the few rumours that I've heard before, I've learnt of some information that might interest you."

Her fingers teased another note from the zither. "The mother of the prince has been friends with Yushan Commandery Princess since young, and she had proposed for her son to wed the daughter of the Commandery Princess when news of the pregnancy reached her."

"Hold on a second," Feng Luodi interrupted, "who is this Yushan Commandery Princess?"

Linglong raised her eyebrow, surprised. "You don't know? The Yushan Commandery Princess is your mother, the wife of the Chamberlain of Justice."

A strange light flashed through Feng Luodi's eyes, and she laughed a little. "I never knew that Mother is the Yushan Commandery Princess. I can't believe that nobody mentioned this before!"

Linglong smiled, and continued. "The thing is, his Majesty wanted to wed the 7th Prince with the daughter of the Minister of the Right, saying that the position and status of the two are more suitable. As a result, the daughter of the Yushan Commandery Princess can only be the concubine of the Prince, and not the First Lady."

The daughter of the Yushan Commandery Princess? Feng Luodi smiled. "That happened?"

Linglong's eyes turned into upside-down crescents as she smiled innocently. She played a short tune on her zither, and continued. "I heard that you had first met Miss Qi coincidentally at Manchun Tang, where the two of you quickly became bosom friends. Doesn't fate work in mysterious ways?" She played another note. "Speaking of which, the daughter of the Minister of the Right shouldn't be so unguarded and friendly, to make friends with someone so quickly. Don't you agree, Miss Feng?"

"Isn't that right?" Feng Luodi rose from her seat, her face a mask of calm. Holding Wind Crane firmly in her arms, Feng Luodi bowed. "My deepest gratitude for lending Wind Crane to me, Miss Linglong. I will return in to you in a few days."

She turned and left the hall, and had barely taken a few steps towards the door when a few figures emerged from an adjacent room in the hall. The first was Gan Qingjia, a conflicted look on his face that quickly changed to his usual flirtatious smile. He looked at Linglong.

"You must be tired, from all that talking."

Linglong shook her head, and gently wrapped her arm around Gan Qingjia's elbow. "I'm sorry; I almost forgot that the few of you are still in there waiting for me."

"It's alright." Gan Qingjia tenderly brushed away the few strands of hair that hung above his forehead.

Behind him, Xue Yiqi stood awkwardly, while Jiang Moyin was his usual calm self. Last of all was Qi Jianqiu, her face unnaturally pale. She kept her eyes fixed on Feng Luodi.