Chapter 131: Heartbreak

Xue Yiqi was beaming as he stepped into an area of a teahouse partitioned by a screen, illustrated with watercolour paintings of flowers and majestic landscapes. Inside, already waiting for him, was Qi Jianqiu, dressed in the clothes of a man.

"Jianqiu, you're finally free today!" Xue Yiqi sat down happily, taking over the cup of hot tea handed to him by Qi Jianqiu. He took a sip, looking at Qi Jianqiu intently, joy and excitement apparent in his big eyes.

Qi Jianqiu laughed sheepishly. "I'm pretty free these days; it's mostly you who's busy, now that you've gotten promoted again."

Xue Yiqi smiled foolishly, scratching his head. "I'm indeed a little busier than before. I'm a little dense, and there's a lot of things I have to learn about. But if you were to invite me, I'll definitely be here! You can find me anytime you're bored."

Qi Jianqiu dare not look at Xue Yiqi's eyes any longer. The better Xue Yiqi was to her, the more guilty she felt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Inspector, I believe that if the records are kept by two separate people, we can minimise the chances of such embezzlement happening again." An official suggested to Gan Qingjia.

Another official chuckled. "We were only supposed to have fun today, but yet we're bothering the Inspector with such matters again."

The official looked at Gan Qingjia guiltily and was about to apologise when he say Gan Qingjia looking at a partition on the second floor of the teahouse. Following his gaze, the officials could only make out two silhouettes behind the partition from their angle on the stairs, unable to clearly identify the patrons behind the partition.

"Inspector?" An official asked gingerly, noticing that the smile had drained from Gan Qingjia's face.

Gan Qingjia returned to his senses and, not speaking a word, gestured for the group to leave the teahouse. As soon as they were outside, the officials quickly took their leave, knowing that the gathering was not going to proceed with Gan Qingjia's apparent foul mood. His face cold and emotionless, Gan Qingjia headed to Moonglade across the street.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Behind the partition, Qi Jianqiu made small talk as Xue Yiqi finished his cup of tea. Naturally, Xue Yiqi was beyond delighted to be able to spend time with Qi Jianqiu in such a manner. Finally, she worked up the courage to broach the subject. She met Xue Yiqi's eyes, innocent and full of unmasked delight. She swallowed audibly.

"Yiqi, there's something I want to talk to you about."

Xue Yiqi tensed up. He recalled the incident where he'd proposed to QI Jianqiu again just a few days back, and his hands balled into fists below the table.

"What...what is it?"

Qi Jianqiu paused for a while. "Can we just be friends?"

Xue Yiqi felt as if a pail of freezing cold water was doused onto his heart. "Why?" His voice was hoarse. "Am I not good enough for you?"

"No," Qi Jianqiu said, shaking her head vehemently, "you're brilliant, Yiqi. I don't know how to put this...but matters of the heart are unpredictable and abstruse; its not a matter of how good you are."

Qi Jianqiu's thoughts were a mess, but she continued. "I really do see you as a good friend Yiqi, and I love to hang out with you, having a good time wherever we are. But such feelings I have for you will not develop into the feelings of the other kind, you know?" Xue Yiqi had been silent all the while, and she did not know what to expect. She was afraid that she'll lose the good friend she'd had in him, but she could not deceive him any longer.

Transmigration: of Mysteries and Songsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें