Chapter 199: The Bleak Situation

From Situ's narration, Feng Luodi now knew that the Eighth Prince who had schemed to force the Emperor to abdicate had already ran away to the Huns. He self-proclaimed himself as the 'Ren' Emperor of the Xuan Kingdom, so the Huns now fought under the banner of 'Ren Country' and allied with the surrounding countries to press in at the borders in the deserts of the North. Several cities had already been taken.

Several countries allied to invade the borders in the deserts of the North. Feng Luodi could already imagine how dangerous it'd be and couldn't help but cry out in alarm.

"The Eighth Prince actually helped other countries to attack his own country for the throne? Is he insane?"

"He isn't the only one so warped by power like that."

Situ sneered. He had served the Imperial family for more than ten years, and people like the Eighth Prince, he had already seen so many that he'd lost count of them.

"Is Xianbei also one of the countries attacking the Xuan Kingdom?"

Feng Luodi suddenly recalled the former Crown Prince of Xianbei. He was now the Emperor of Xianbei and was once Situ's good friend.

Feng Luodi got her answer from the slight frown forming on Situ's features.

"I have faith in General Zhang Xin and the other generals. Even though the allied forces of those countries are pressing their way in at the borders, they wouldn't be able to do anything to the generals."

Feng Luodi moved her hand on top of Situ's big hand. The familiar feeling made Feng Luodi feel real, that she was still alive and living as Feng Luodi.

"Indeed, Old Zhang and Shifei's ability can still be trusted."

The dark expression on Situ's face didn't improve as he continued, "But these days, there are too many vile people and two faced backstabbers, so even the Emperor's become somewhat rattled."

Feng Luodi thought of Xuan De Emperor, who used to be in a very sorry position during his time as the First Prince. On the day he ascended, Feng Luodi was one of those greeting at the Imperial Palace under Duke of An Ping. Just from a faraway glance, Feng Luodi could tell that the current Xuan De Emperor with authority in his hands was no longer the same gentle, benevolent First Prince from back then.

In other words, as early as the First Prince's people secretly poisoned her, she knew that the First Prince was no longer the innocent boy from before. The new Emperor was now a supreme ruler with absolute authority. Just a month after ascending the throne, he subdued the Imperial Court officials and most importantly, he won the hearts of the citizens. Once he won the hearts of the people, no matter what policies he implemented next, the citizens wouldn't feel discontented.

Such a person should be a wise ruler, right?

Feng Luodi cast a worried glance at Situ.

"So the Emperor ordered you to go to the deserts of the North to face that army?"

The smile on Situ's face disappeared at the mention of the bitter, approaching reality. She remembered that in the battle against the Huns, the Northern Army had been utterly defeated time after time. Situ had gone with reinforcements, but then, something happened.

Feng Luodi suddenly clutched the clothes above her chest, a pained expression appearing on her face.

Situ lowered his head to comfort Feng Luodi only to see the pained look on her face.

"Luodi, what happened to you? I'll get somebody to call over a doctor."

"No need."

Feng Luodi clutched her clothes with one hand and grabbed Situ's robes with the other, giving him a forced smile.