Chapter 26: A Private Performance

Feng Luodi took a deep breath, and exchanged a look with Scarlet. She was standing outside a stately mansion, Scarlet holding the gifts that she'd prepared for the visit. Mustering her courage, Feng Luodi walked up to the guard at the door, and curtsied.

"Please inform the Minister that Feng Luodi is here."

"Yes, missus. Please wait here."

Seeing the guard leave to send word to the Minister, Feng Luodi patted her chest lightly, and turned to Scarlet.

"Scarlet, I'm really nervous!"

"Young miss, I'm even more nervous than you!" Scarlet gripped Feng Luodi's sleeve tightly, and looked almost on the verge of tears.

They were outside the Household of the Minister of the Right, because of an invitation by the Minister himself. One that, needless to say, she could not reject. To quote the Household Defender [1. A title for a commander of guards in a powerful household.] who had delivered the letter, it was a "simple, homely dinner" for the Minister to "get to know" her better.

"Why do I feel like a man who's about to meet his in-laws?" Feng Luodi was perplexed by her apprehension. Perhaps it's because the Minister is the same age as Father, and I'd imagine him to be a serious and dignified man because of his high position.

"Young miss, I don't think the Minister would make things difficult for you. After all, young missus Qi is your close friend, isn't she?" Scarlet was nervous, but she could still think clearly.

Feng Luodi rechecked her dressing. "Am I dressed too casually today?"

Feng Luodi wore a red gown with golden embroidery running along her collar, with a matching golden waistcloth depicting clouds and beasts. A maroon belt studded with jade sat on her hips, while her elaborate hairstyle was pinned in place with an ornamental gold hairpin she rarely wore. It was the first time Scarlet saw Feng Luodi dressed in such formal clothes, and as objectively as she could be, felt that her young miss was lovely. The red contrasted well against her pale skin, and the gold hints lent her a princely aura. What a pity that the young missus always dresses up in shades of white and green; she looks refreshing and gentle when she dresses in white, but she looks dignified and graceful like this.

"You were always beautiful, young miss," Scarlet straightened the sleeves for Feng Luodi, "more so today." Her words calmed down Feng Luodi somewhat.

They didn't have to wait long; a sombre middle-aged man dressed in fine clothes came walking out of the household, guards greeting him as he walked.

"Miss Feng, I am the Head Steward of the household. The Minister is currently in an important meeting in the antechamber. If you may, please wait with young miss Qi in her courtyard; she has been waiting for your arrival since early this morning."

"Of course. Thank you, sir." It was often exaggerated that a simple guard of a Minister's household is as important as a 7th Rank Official. One could only see from that how influential this Head Steward might be, and Feng Luodi was as respectful as she could be. On the way to Qi Jianqiu's courtyard, they were met by Qi Jianqiu who ran to meet them, her skirts lifted in her hands.

"Young missus, slow down! Be careful not to injure yourself! Your health is more important than your weight in gold!" The Head Steward quickly called out.

"It's alright, Rui Bo. I'm already used to running in my gown; there's no way I'll fall. I'll take over from here, and bring her to lunch with Father later!" Qi Jianqiu said excitedly.

"Alright then, whatever you say, young missus." Rui Bo smiled adoringly at her, and turned to bow to Feng Luodi before taking his leave.

As soon as Rui Bo was out of sight, Qi Jianqiu grabbed Feng Luodi by her arm and started dragging her along. "I woke up so early in the morning, wishing for the moon and stars to bring you over quickly! And finally, you're here!"