Chapter 30: Meeting

Feng Luodi woke up early the next morning, and sat in the courtyard with her zither on her lap, plucking at the strings casually. While the floor was littered with flowers that have long since wilted, it will soon be a rhapsody of colours when the late-bloomers flourish.

"Young miss, will you have your breakfast in our courtyard, or dine with the Master and the First Lady in the anteroom?" Scarlet entered the courtyard and saw Feng Luodi at her usual spot by the stone table. What a melancholic sight; why does the young miss always seem so sad?

"I'll have it in the courtyard today. Fei and I are leaving after breakfast, but we'll be back before dinner this afternoon." Feng Luodi set down her zither on the table, and began tuning the strings.

"You're not bringing us along again?" Scarlet pouted. Why is it always Fei! Ever since he'd joined the household, we rarely have the chance to accompany young miss out anymore! I'll get Jet to eat his share of breakfast later!

"I'll need the two of you to stay and accompany Mother, Scarlet. It's recently gotten warmer, and Mother will need help going about her walks."

"Yes, young miss."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fei came into the courtyard a little before noon, as arranged. "Young miss, it's time to leave."

"Feng Luodi stood up the stone bench, and dusted her sleeves casually. "Let's go."

She'd never had the habit of using the carriage when leaving the household, partially because she does not have her own, and today was no exception. It was fortunate that the Feng household was on Zhengnan street, just a stone throw away from the main street of Chang'an where Manchun Tang is located.

Feng Luodi arrived at Manchun Tang with Fei, and saw a servant standing at the door. Immediately recognising him as one of the 7th Prince's servants, memories of their previous encounter flashed through her mind. If it wasn't for General Situ who arrived in time to help me, I would have been shamed. Worse still, the Feng household would be disgraced as well.

Feng Luodi clenched her fist, the sharp pain she felt from her fingernails biting into her palm the only thing calming her down.

"Miss Feng, the prince has been waiting for you for a long time. Come up with me now." The servant was expressionless.

Feng Luodi ignored his disrespectful tone, motioning for him to lead the way. Fei followed closely behind, his eyes scanning the stairwell and landings. The servant led the two up to the third floor, passing through the winding corridor. Most of the doors on both sides are closed, only soft indecipherable murmurs floating pass the wooden doors. Few were wide open, their occupants either generous with their secrets, or without anything to hide. When they walked pass an open door, Feng Luodi was surprised to see Situ Muye sitting alone in the dining room.

He was dressed as if he'd just returned from a tour of the Chang'an military base. Clad in a set of raven coloured armour, his brown under-robe showed through his collar and beneath his gauntlets. A long scarlet cape flowed from his shoulders, painting the perfect image of a handsome warrior. Feng Luodi quickly stopped and curtsied to him, and the prince's servant quickly followed suit.

Situ Muye set down his cup of wine, and walked towards the three of them.

"You are one of the 7th Prince's men, aren't you." He looked at the servant.

The man nodded repeatedly, clearly intimidated by Situ's commanding presence. "I am indeed one of the prince's followers, sir."

Situ Muye turned to Feng Luodi, and his voice was hard. "Where are you going with him?"