Chapter 47: Headway

"Your Majesty, the Duke of Anping is here to see you." The imperial attendant stood below the steps, his head bowed in respect.

"Let him in." The Emperor continued looking at the scripture held in his hands.

"Summon the Duke of Anping!" The imperial attendant turned and called out.

"Your Majesty, I have arrived."

"Rise. Seems like there's been a development in the case that I've entrusted to you, seeing how you're standing here before me."

Situ quickly handed the statements to him. "You have many other capable officials in court, your Majesty. I can only help with the minor matters."

The Emperor smiled. "You are too humble." He quickly scanned through the statements, and sneered. "Seems like the Ailao kingdom is stirring again. To think that they would stage such a malicious attack against my people just because their country is weak and poor. I'm certain they will stir up more trouble during the diplomatic meet, with the help of the other countries."

"That was what I'd feared." Situ calmly added. "However, I have yet to find concrete evidence of the Ailao ambassador's treachery, and I cannot detain him without it."

"I trust that you'll be able to find it soon." The Emperor handed the statements to the imperial attendant, who carefully placed it on the Emperor's desk.

"That depends on whether your Majesty's will approve of this plan of mine."

"What is it?" The Emperor turned to look at him.

"To destroy the statue in the North Plaza, so that we can eliminate the threat posed to the people of Chang'an." Situ looked directly at the Emperor.

"Do you not know the importance of the statue? Have you thought of all the complications that will arise if we destroy the statue?" The Emperor was composed, his face not showing any hint of displeasure at Situ's seemingly outrageous proposal.

"I do, and that is exactly why I'd proposed to destroy it." Situ's lips curled upwards into a smile. "What if a foreign ambassador attending the Autumnal Meet happen to destroy the statue by accident, and your Majesty merely increased the levy on that country as punishment? How will the rest of the world view this matter then?"

"HA HA HA!" The elderly emperor patted Situ on his shoulder, hard. "It is my fortune to have you in my court, Anping Duke."

"May I take that as an approval for everything that I plan to do during the Meet?" Situ bowed deeply.

"Do whatever you want. I trust you." The Emperor returned to his seat. "You may leave now to focus on your preparations. I have many more things to tend to, and do not wish to keep you here any longer."

"Please take care of your health, amidst your busy schedule, your Majesty. I will take my leave now." Situ bowed again, and briskly left the hall.

Situ had left for a while, when the Emperor laughed a little, patting the statements on the table. "The Duke is a really capable man, isn't he? I don't have to worry so much with him around."

"Of course, your Majesty. The Duke is young but accomplished, conquering the Northern Plains in a mere six years. One could almost say that he is invincible." The imperial attendant smiled, and answered the Emperor.

The Emperor kept quiet, a half smile on his face, his eyes brooding and foreboding.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Situ walked into Dream Mirrors the next morning, with a hamper of desserts in his hands. Ignoring the dancers and artistes that gathered towards him, he quickly walked around the parlour, unable to find Jiang Moyin and Feng Luodi.  He frowned as he left Dream Mirrors briskly, and snapped his fingers together. Two members of his Covert Guards appeared immediately.