Chapter 183: Fall Into a Trap

With regards to the possibility that Situ's military power might be reclaimed and his post removed, the First Prince had the most extreme reaction. It was probably due to his instinct. In the past, his Imperial Father had only mentioned this matter occasionally but today, he felt that his Imperial Father had made up his mind.

The Emperor was no longer the same person who used to listen to Situ and Gan Qingjia's advice to handle matters in a placid manner. Everyone was forcing him and everyone was hoodwinking him. There were many things he had to fight for himself. Otherwise, he would be left with nothing.

"Imperial Father, Duke of Anping went on expeditions and protected the Xuan Kingdom since he was eighteen. The Situ Family have also produced generations of generals and they have worked their hearts out to support their respective monarch. How could Imperial Father remove his noble title and his power simply because of a few folk songs?"

Once the First Prince said this, the officials in the court were taken aback. This was the first time the First Prince had retorted His Majesty since returning to Chang'an and he was even doing so for Situ Muye, who had achieved so much that he was deemed as a threat to His Majesty.

Many of them also thought: It seems that the rumours are not unfounded. Situ has already paid allegiance to the First Prince. In that case, now that His Majesty is wantonly removing Situ's military power, is he covertly denying the First Prince inheritance to the throne?

The Emperor cast a bewildered look at the First Prince when he heard his rebuttal. He was used to this son of his being respectful and saw him as someone who stuck up for him in all respects. As such, he had subconsciously treated him as an official who had sworn fealty to him rather than treating him as his son.

The Emperor remained silent for a moment and then faintly said, "Ran'er, don't forget that you are still supervising the nation. I have taught you before to prioritise the overall situation."

The First Prince stiffened at his words; he was rendered speechless.

Was that a threat? Or was he hinting something at him?

While the First Prince was in a daze, the Eighth Prince stepped forward and elaborated more on the rumours while adding all kinds of details to the stories. This instantly caused the Emperor's expression to darken a few shades.

Other than the Eleventh Prince's faction who was watching from the sidelines, the majority of the officials began to impeach Situ and, this time, many of them weren't instructed by the Emperor.

Thus, they naturally didn't say things the Emperor wanted to hear and went a little overboard. Besides, some of the topics they'd brought up weren't touched upon by the Emperor yet. This scene agitated the Emperor and he shot a disagreeable glance at the Eighth Prince.

Situ was supposed to be the most anxious of them all but his expression remained stoic as he glanced at the Eighth Prince. He probably didn't know that the Emperor had absolutely no intention of passing the throne to him. In the Emperor's heart, the candidates for the throne had always been the First Prince, Second Prince and Eleventh Prince.

Originally, if there were no unexpected incidents, the Second Prince would've ascended the throne. Unfortunately, he continued to walk the wrong path until he reached a stage where the situation was no longer redeemable. After the deposed Heir died, the Emperor's sight had always been on the First Prince and the Eleventh Prince. The next few months would be a crucial moment in deciding the next Heir.

The Eighth Prince was totally unaware of the fact that his words had totally backfired, destroying the evidence and pretext the Emperor had initially wanted to use to take down Situ in one fell swoop.