Chapter 62: Apprehension

The Autumnal Hunt started with a day of free hunting, where the princes were led by the enthusiastic Emperor into the woods to show-off their skills. Many of the younger nobles joined in the party, but most of the government officials had stayed behind in the camping grounds.

Situ and Feng Luodi sat on the opposite ends of a small wooden table, warm tea and desserts laid out in front of them. The way they chatted slowly with each other and the setting of the scene made them look like an old couple out sunbathing, instead of attending the annual royal Autumnal Hunt. Feng Luodi looked around the campsite, wanting to mock Situ for acting like the other officials twice his age, but her eyes landed on Jiang Moyin's tent instead. Memories of the previous night flashed through her head.

After dinner, the two of them were invited to Jiang Moyin's tent in the name of a small gathering but walked in to find the Heir and a few of his followers inside as well. Feng Luodi tried to minimise her presence throughout the entire "gathering", but couldn't help to listen to their entire plan.

"Now that we are aware of his intention to assassinate you, your Highness, I am of the believe that you should simple not agree to any of his suggestions during the Hunt. We will be able to guarantee your safety that way." Situ started the meeting with a straightforward opinion. Coincidentally, that was Feng Luodi's take on the matter as well. If someone wants to kill me, of course I'll just hide from him! But that also means that we wouldn't probably wouldn't be able to find evidence of his involvement in the plot in that case...

The Heir shook his head, and smiled warmly. "7th Brother has always wanted to get rid of me. I'm sure that there will be another attempt on my life even if this was avoided. I am of the opinion to give him the chance to make his move on me, and for our side to strike when he does, catching him in the act. That will stop him once and for all."

"But I see that your Highness' has not yet increased your personal security. With your current attendants, they will not be able to face up against the 7th Prince's sishi." Situ's face was calm. Feng Luodi looked at the Heir who continued smiling, and Jiang Moyin who did not say a word. Situ continued. "How would you want for me to act, then?"

The Heir laughed. "I will act naturally for the next few days, accepting all of his proposals. I will just have to trouble you to be ready with your men to intervene the fight between us when he strikes."

"How many of your own Covert Guard have you brought to the Hunt?" Situ queried.

"Twenty." The Heir smiled. "They will be suffice to last until your men arrive."

"That is a little dangerous, your Highness." Situ disagreed. "I'm sure the 7th Prince's sishi are on par with your Guards, but his forces will greatly outnumber yours. Twenty is too little."

The Heir continued to smile. "Twenty is just right; it wouldn't make Father suspicious. He will be displeased if there was even one more."

Feng Luodi looked at the Heir's smile and shuddered. Whoever had said that the Heir is a gentle and slightly ordinary man is the biggest fool in the world. The rest discussed the plans in detailed, but she didn't pay any attention to them.

Feng Luodi jostled herself from her memory and turn to Situ. "Situ, how long have you known Moyin for? Were you friends since young?"

Situ shot her a look, and turned back to the woods. "We were about ten. I had yet to enlist in the army back then, and he was not the Heir's study companion."

"How young!" Feng Luodi smiled unconsciously as she thought of the two of them as little toddlers. "No wonder! I was still wondering how a General and a Grand Tutor became the best of friends!"