Chapter 70: Pretense

Feng Luodi kept glancing towards Gan Qingjia as the music flowed from her fingertips, silently willing for him to end her misery. If glares could hurt, I would have been dead by now. Qi Jianqiu was expressionless, but she quietly worried for Feng Luodi, seeing how her best friend had sacrificed her own reputation for her sake.

"Who does this Feng Luodi think she is? Is she trying to gain attention by using the limelight of the Beauty of Chang'an?"

"She's the one who was rejected by the Nanhai Commandery Prince that time!"

"Oh, she's that woman, huh? How shameful, to be trying to garner attention in this manner."

The comments that floated around amongst the crowd slowly turned malicious. Jiang Moyin had not spoken to the Heir about his proposal before the gathering, but he knew that Feng Luodi would not approve of his proposal. However, being his advisor, it was inappropriate for him to go against the Heir's wishes, and he was torn hearing the malicious comments made by the angered crowd.

Situ's face was dark, his features cold and expressionless. He turned, and looked at Gan Qingjia wordlessly.

Gan Qingjia knew it was not time to be joking around anymore, and quickly turned away. "I know what to do; she has bought us enough time."

Finally, the music stopped again, and Feng Luodi could not muster the courage within her to start another song. The Heir stood up again, and opened his mouth to declare his admiration for Qi Jianqiu. However, a voice rang through the crowd before him.

"Miss Qi, will you marry me?"

Heads whipped around, and the gaze of the entire crowd zeroed in on Gan Qingjia, the son of the Minister of the Left.

"What is happening? Wasn't it always said that the two Ministers could never agree with each other? Why will Gan Qingjia want to marry Miss Qi?"

"Don't worry, Miss Qi will not agree to his proposal. He is nothing but a playboy! Rumour has it that he even has a few concubines at home."

"Is he here to cause trouble? I've heard that he has never been on good terms with Miss Qi."

Feng Luodi's eyes widened at Gan Qingjia. That wasn't what he was supposed to do! This isn't good, Jianqiu is going to loose her cool. She turned to Qi Jianqiu, and it was just as she expected. The mask of calm on her face was gone, her eyes glaring at Gan Qingjia. How can he do this to me, joking about something as important as my marriage?

The Heir was caught in a wave of awkwardness again, but he quickly regained his composure. The Minister of the Left has always been a loyal follower of mine - how disappointing for him to have such a useless son! He turned to Gan Qingjia. "Qingjia, marriage is an important issue, and not one to be casually toyed with. Concubine Yao is watching the entire gathering today."

Gan Qingjia did not back down, his lips curving upwards into a smile. "Your Highness, how will you know if true feelings are backing my proposal to Miss Qi?"

The Heir smiled as well, but before he could reply, Qi Jianqiu interrupted him angrily.

"I will never marry you!" She glared at Gan Qingjia.

Now things are awkward.  Feng Luodi wanted to bury her face in her hands. She stared at Gan Qingjia, willing for him to carry out their plan.

Gan Qingjia looked straight at Qi Jianqiu. "My apologies for forgetting, Miss Qi. I just remembered that you already have someone else in your heart. I heard that he was out of Chang'an at the moment, and is unfortunately unable to attend today's gathering. No wonder you look so upset, Miss Qi."