Chapter 52: Crisis

Feng Luodi felt as if her lucky star had been shining on her; a few days after she had received Rising Wind as a gift from an elder brother, she received news from Mingxuan Zither Emporium that another Guqin, Abysmal, had been located. The caravan that he had requested to help locate the Guqin had bought Abysmal, albeit at a hefty price, and were on the way back to Chang'an with the Guqin. They were returning to the capital via the waterways, and was due to arrive in Chang'an at noon.

Feng Luodi's spirits rose considerably upon receiving the news, and spent a lot more effort into dressing herself up for the joyous occasion. A half robe a vibrant shade of emerald green was draped over her inner shirt of pale green, while a grey skirt adorned with pearls decorated her lower half. Her dressing was completed with a belt of white jade that sat snugly on her hips. Feng Luodi was about to leave the house when Jet quickly stopped her.

"Young miss, are you leaving house alone again? Let me tag along with you!"

"No need for that." Feng Luodi shook her hand. "I'm just having a look around the port. I'll be back before long."

"But Fu Bo had said that the harbour is a really chaotic place, young miss! It will be safer if I were to accompany you instead. Or would you like to grab Fei or Scarlet from Autumnal Ombre before you go?"

"Alright, alright. I'll head to Autumnal Ombre first then. Get back to the kitchen, Jet; Mother's medicine requires your attention."

"Yes, young miss. I'll get to it soon! Be careful on your way there, young miss!"

"Jeez, Jet!" Feng Luodi laughed. "You're getting as long winded as Fu Bo!"

Feng Luodi slowly waltzed out of the door and headed straight for the port, evidently in high spirits. She looked at the sky. It is almost noon, and I can't wait to get Abysmal! If all goes well, there will be only 7 Guqin left to get before I can go back!

She reached the port before long, but the merchant fleet had yet to arrive. Looking around, she was surprised to see two familiar faces.

"Elder brother. Situ." Feng Luodi called out. The two men were standing near the waterfront, watching the workers and merchant ships as they entered and busied about the harbour.

"I never thought that I'd see the two of you at the harbour; this doesn't lie under either of your judistrictions, does it?" Feng Luodi's jovial mood showed in her tone.

"Situ was interested in knowing more about the harbour of Chang'an, and I was free to show him around." Jiang Moyin smiled warmly at her. "What about yourself? What's a girl like you doing here? And you're unusually energetic today, what's gotten into you?"

Situ stood by the side, not looking at Feng Luodi.

Feng Luodi was too light-headed in her joy to notice Situ's slightly uncharacteristic behaviour. "Abysmal is reaching Chang'an soon! I can't contain my excitement!"

"Abysmal? Isn't that one of the 10 Guqin that you are always searching for?" Jiang Moyin was glad to see Feng Luodi happy, and his voice was even gentler than usual. "I see that your effort is finally paying off."

"That's right!" Feng Luodi nodded repeatedly. "I had persuaded a merchant caravan heading to the Jiangnan region to ask around for information regarding the 10 Guqin, but I didn't expect them to simply buy it for me!! They're due to arrive at Chang'an by ferry at noon."

"So you came to wait at the port, huh?" Jiang Moyin shook his head and laughed. "Your obsession with these Guqin is serious business."

"That's because of their importance." Feng Luodi smiled. "I shan't disturb the two of you anymore, then. I'll wait here for the fleet to arrive."