Chapter 31: Intention

The two of them returned to Situ's dining room and closed the door, Fei waiting for them in the corridor. As soon as they sat down, Feng Luodi quickly asked again. "Are you saying that the 7th Prince is an intelligent man, and that his vices are just a ruse?"

Situ replied calmly, "Yes, and no."

"What do you mean?"

Situ poured himself a cup of wine. "The 7th Prince may not be as dumb or as sinful as you think, but it's just like I said before. Remember that he is one of the few princes that were bestowed the title of 'Commandery Prince'. He cannot be good for nothing."

Feng Luodi opened her mouth, about to pursue the topic, when Situ stopped her. "It's best if you do not know too much about this. It's never a good thing to interact too much with the royalty and nobility."

Feng Luodi thought about it for a second, and nodded in agreement. Indeed, my only responsibility is to find the 10 Guqin. Sooner or later, I'll be returning to my world, and it's probably for the best that I do not meddle too much with the affairs of this world.

Standing up, Feng Luodi curtsied to Situ. "Anyway, you have my deepest gratitude for today, Master Situ. I'll pay for your lunch on my way out. Please, enjoy your meal."

She turned to leave, but had taken a few steps towards the door when a bench slid across the floor, stopping in front of her and blocking her path. She looked up at Situ who'd kicked the chair.

"What's with this? Is my thanks not enough?"

Situ pointed at her original seat by the table. "I don't think that's sincere enough. Why don't you sit down and have a meal with me? I'll be alone otherwise."

Feng Luodi pursed her lips, and took her place again by the table. Looking at the array of dishes that filled up the entire table, she asked, "Can the two of us finish all these?"

"Why?" Situ raised an eyebrow. "Now is not the time to be miserly, Miss Feng."

What? Who told me that General Situ is stern and serious all the time? Look, he even made a jibe at me!

Feng Luodi glared at him. "I just feel that it's a sin to waste food."

"Then you should do your best to eat more." Situ slid a few more dishes closer to her.

Feng Luodi picked up a flask of wine. "I prefer this more; it's delicious!" To be honest, it was because the alcohol content of the wine was very low. "So it's all on you to finish the dishes!" She added quickly.

The corners of Situ's lips twisted upwards into a smile.

The two of them chatted as they ate. Although Situ's face remained expressionless most of the time, with his angular face making him seem more sombre than he was, he made for a surprisingly good conversationalist. They talked about a broad range of topics, and when it veered into the subject of sights and sceneries, Situ's eyes lit up, and his stories flowed endlessly. From the "Painting of 10 Miles" on the outskirts of Chang'an with its beautiful lakes and mesmerising greenery, to the silent grandeur of the deserts of the North, where different races mixed together and formed amazing cultural exchanges - Situ knew all about them. Very curious about these places that she'd only seen on books, and would probably never visit in her life, Feng Luodi teased story after story out of the stoic Situ.

After a long meal, the two of them left the room and headed downstairs, Feng Luodi rubbing her bloated stomach with a regretful expression. Taking out her silver to pay for the meal at the counter, but the manager smiled at her.

"Miss, Master Situ had already paid for the meal."

Feng Luodi looked at Situ, surprised. "When did you come down to pay for the meal? Or was it already paid in advance, even before I'd arrived?"