Chapter 154: Cooperation

In the antechamber of the yamen, Governor Tian sat in the principal seat, while Situ and the First Prince sat flanking him while the remaining assistant county magistrates and police commissioners sat scattered in random seats around the antechamber. The assistant county magistrates and police commissioners looked at each other in dismay as Governor Tian introduced Situ and the First Prince. They were aware that the court would dispatch specialised officials to attend to the case but they did not expect the arrival of these two high-ranking officials, an imperial prince and a duke.

Situ's expression was cold while the lips of the First Prince carried a faint smile. They were like a scene of winter and spring interweaving with one another. Everyone felt that they were in extreme agony.

Silence.

Silence.

The silence was deafening.

Governor Tian had bashful look on his countenance and did not put on any airs as he addressed them, "Everyone, you need not be troubled. Now that the special envoys sent by His Majesty have arrived, we will be able to get to the bottom of this case very soon."

Immediately, voices of dissent arose again.

"That Lu Buping from the Demonic Sect is the murderer. You just have to dispatch someone to arrest him!"

Governor Tian glanced at Situ and First Prince who looked very composed and tactfully waved his hand. "He is only a suspect. At most, we will ask him to come to the yamen to cooperate with the investigation. We can't simply send someone to capture him."

"Hmph," someone immediately ridiculed his words, "Governor, don't tell me you're scared of the Demonic Sect? If a mere Lu Buping could easily intrude into the various large yamens and murder the county magistrates, he can also easily barge into here and kill you right?"

Governor Tian's expression changed but he still put on a very meek and even weak appearance. "We shouldn't utter such things without basis. This matter has nothing to do with Lu Buping. It's not good to involve the Demonic Sect as we please." 

That person mocked him again. "Governor, it's obvious that you're just scared of the Demonic Sect. Even if the yamen can't quell the Demonic Sect, isn't there still the Central Army stationed in Xiang Yang Province? There are 200 000 troops. Every one of them is valiant and skilled in warfare. With them around, what is a mere Demonic Sect? Even if we want to control the whole Jianghu..."

Before he could finish his words, he was interrupted by the shattering sound of a cup smashing onto the ground.

Everyone looked at the water stain and broken fragments on the floor in surprise. Then, they looked towards Situ and the First Prince. They were the only ones who dared to do something like this.

Situ's expression was like the Grim Reaper of the Night, piercingly cold like the biting wind while his gaze that landed on them were like sharp blades that cut them until it was excruciatingly painful.

The First Prince who was sitting beside Situ still carried a smile which was as gentle as the willow in the spring breeze.

The First Prince said gently, "Does everyone know who the Central Army receives orders from? It is His Majesty. Do you know what the Central Army is for? It's for protecting the nation and ensuring peace in our country. Right now, everyone wants to let the Central Army confront the Demonic Sect just for a Lu Buping who might be a murderer? I wonder how everyone obtained your current posts?"

His voice was soft, light and gentle. Yet it was like a knife which pierced into everyone's hearts.

The antechamber fell silent with his words. Governor Tian could only force an awkward smile on his face in an attempt to defuse the situation. Everyone became silent for a while and Governor Tian had no choice but to deride them.