Chapter 34: Summer

Despite being situated by the Wei River, summer was as hot as it could be in Chang'an. The cicadas chirped endlessly amongst the trees, increasing the annoyance brought on by the heat.

Feng Luodi sat on the highest floor of a teahouse in Chang'an, taking in the scenery from her vantage point. Although the area was not enclosed, there wasn't even the slightest wind caught through the bannisters and corridors which were specifically designed to catch the breeze. Perspiration beaded her face as she gulped down a cup of warm tea.

"It's so hot!" Feng Luodi briefly fanned herself with a paper fan, but quickly put it down after her arm grew tired. Not even a moment had passed before she picked up the fan again, unable to tolerate the heat. That was all she had been doing the entire afternoon, and the annoyance was written clearly on her face.

The heat was not the only reason for her sudden lack of composure; there was also the lack of news regarding the other 9 Guqin. Since Wind Crane, spring had came and left while summer descended on her like a burning furnace, but still not even the slightest information regarding the other Guqin was heard. She had repeatedly checked with the zither shopkeepers in Chang'an to no avail. She had intended to leave Chang'an in her quest to find the other 9 Guqin, but she had barely even mentioned the idea to her parents before the Chamberlain shut her down, lecturing her sternly on the matter. She recalled what her father had said. You will not venture far from this city as long as your parents are still alive! Feng Luodi sighed; there was nothing she could do about it - she was a girl, after all, and she had to obey her parents.

"How will I ever find all 10 Guqin at this rate?" Feng Luodi downed another cup of warm tea. "No wonder Phantom said that finding the 10 Guqin was more about fate than hard work."

And then there was the problem of acquiring the Guqin after they had been found. The shopkeepers have subtly reminded her on numerous occasions that, even if they had managed to locate any of the Guqin, it would cost a fortune to buy - money that Feng Luodi did not possess. They had deduced that most of the Guqin were held by collectors or maestros, and if that were the case, it would not just be a matter of money - they would have to give it up willingly.

A fortune! Feng Luodi's face soured at the mere thought of that. Although the Chamberlain and the First Lady gave her a sizeable allowance of silver every month, it would be silly to think that she can purchase a famed Guqin with that measly amount of money! She had briefly entertained the thought of using the Feng household's wealth to fund her purchases of the Guqin, but quickly extinguished these thoughts whenever they came up. If she had used the Feng household's silver to pave her way back to the 21st Century, she would never be able to live with herself. After what happened with Linglong that day when she realised her ignorance regarding her parent's heritage, she had done her research.

The Chamberlain was born a commoner, the only son of a poor family. He studied hard despite his humble background, and started out as a magistrate in a small county. He was just and well loved by the people, and the county prospered under his rule. He was repeatedly promoted in the next few years, his ability recognised, until the position of a Prefect. When the Emperor reached the Chamberlain's place of governing when he toured the kingdom, he was amazed by the ability of the Chamberlain, and promoted him to his current position and rank.

The Chamberlain met the Yushan Commandery Princess the year he was promoted to his position, and the two married soon after, deeply in love. Although the Yushan Commandery Princess was only the daughter of a Commandery Prince loosely related to the royal family, and her status could not compare to that of a princess of royal descent, she was known in Chang'an for her tenderness, both of her personality and beauty. Her features were soft and attractive, and had many suitors when she first arrived in Chang'an with her father. Although many of her suitors were of higher born or position than the Chamberlain, she had fallen in love with the Chamberlain, and the two were wed soon after.