Chapter 109: Unintentional

"Luodi!" Qi Jianqiu and Xue Yiqi headed straight for Feng Luodi's courtyard. Scarlet came out of the room and into the courtyard, a washbasin cradled in her arms.

"My greetings, Young Miss Qi and Master Xue." Scarlet curtsied.

Qi Jianqiu's gaze landed on the pinkish water in the washbasin and frowned. "Were you tending to her wounds? Is it still that bad?"

"Young Miss is much better already." Scarlet smiled. "If there is nothing else, I shall take my leave."

"Go ahead." Qi Jianqiu nodded, watching as Scarlet turn to leave the courtyard. She glanced at Xue Yiqi and raised an eyebrow. "Are you really going to go into a girl's room?"

Xue Yiqi's cheeks flushed red and he took a step back, stammering as he spoke. "I...I...I'll just wait outside then."

"Psh!" Qi Jianqiu chuckled. "I was just joking. You can wait in the living space outside her bedroom."

"Okay." Xue Yiqi nodded obediently, following behind Qi Jianqiu as they entered the room.

"What a boring fellow." Qi Jianqiu muttered under her breath. "It's no fun to poke at him." Quickly moving to Feng Luodi beside the bed, she looked apologetically at Feng Luodi's pale face, her lips tightly pressed together.

"I'm so sorry for not being on time that day, Luodi. If I had arrived with you, Princess Shangrong wouldn't have had their way." If it wasn't because of that damned Gan Qingjia, I wouldn't be late that day!

Feng Luodi shook her head. "It's better that you weren't there that day, Jianqiu. I don't think they'll let you off so easily if you were there with me." Feng Luodi turned to Xue Yiqi and nodded in greeting.

Qi Jianqiu looked guiltily at Feng Luodi's hands swathed in swathed in thick white bandages and pouted. "When will your hands recover?"

"In about a month, I guess."

"What? So long?" Qi Jianqiu's face fell. "I wouldn't get to hear you play the zither for another month!"

"Well, you can go to the zither parlours if you wanted to enjoy music." Feng Luodi commented offhandedly. Qi Jianqiu and Xue Yiqi looked away uncomfortably, Feng Luodi catching their expression. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." Qi Jianqiu shook her head furiously. "I've been learning how to cook herbal stews recently; I'll feed you a bowl every day when I've mastered it!"

"I'll be looking forward to that then." Feng Luodi smiled, gesturing for Scarlet to pour tea for the two guests as she slowly eased into the chair by the table.

Qi Jianqiu reached forward to help her but gasped when her fingers touched Feng Luodi's arm. "You're burning!" She quickly turned to Scarlet. "Go and get the physician back here!"

"No need for that." Feng Luodi signalled for Scarlet to leave the room, smiling at Jianqiu. "Don't worry, it's just a small fever; I'll be fine in a few days."

Qi Jianqiu sat down opposite Feng Luodi, eyeing her doubtfully. "Alright, alright. Anyway, I'm here to deliver good news." She turned to Xue Yiqi. "Tell her what happened; it makes me sick to even think about those people."

Feng Luodi looked expectantly at Xue Yiqi, who took over from Qi Jianqiu.

"Miss Feng, I'm here on behalf of Elder Brother Situ to inform you of the proceedings in court today morning."

"Situ?" Feng Luodi blinked.

"Chamberlain Feng and Elder Brother Moyin had submitted a statement in court, accusing the Commandery Prince of Huaiyang of not disciplining his son, Chu Huaicai, and for the negligence of his duty as the Governor of Huaiyang. The Minister of the Right and Elder Brother Situ had also impeached the officers of the Xiao clan, a charge supported by many others in court. His Majesty had suppressed the charges for the time being, but a result should be announced soon."