Chapter 116: Identity

"Rui Bo, where is Father?" Qi Jianqiu woke up early in the morning.

"Master is having a meeting with an important guest in the study; you can head over later on, young miss."

"Alright, I understand. Thank you Rui Bo."

"I shall take my leave, young miss."

"A meeting in the study right now?" Qi Jianqiu mumbled as she slowly walked towards the study. "Wasn't he supposed to head to the Shanyin Province for the investigation? Why is he still here when Chamberlain Feng had already set off?" She heard the voice of the Minister as soon as she approached the study and couldn't help but eavesdrop.

"A brilliant plan to have Chamberlain Feng head down to Shanyin Province to begin the investigation on the Governor while you stay in Chang'an, Minister. Everyone knows that the Governor alone is not capable of embezzling so much money from the province's treasury; if you stay in the capital, you'll be able to root out any collaborators he'd had. I'm sure that's what his Majesty was thinking when he agreed to your request of having the Chamberlain join you in the investigation."

"Of course his Majesty had that in mind, but I'm staying in Chang'an for now for another matter as well: the investigation of the Villa of Mount Baicha." The Minister replied. "Although his Majesty had seemingly agreed with the deduction and proposal of the 8th Prince, he is already viewing the Villa as a potential threat to his throne - one to be extricated. As his subject, it is my duty to lay his worries to rest."

"You do indeed know his Majesty's intentions very well, Minister." The official sounded genuinely impressed. "I'm sure you already have clues, then."

The conversation continued, but Qi Jianqiu paid no more attention.

"Father is investigating the Villa of Mount Baicha as well! And from the looks of it, he intends to bring the Villa down instead of making them work for the Emperor!" Argh...all this talk of the Villa makes me think of that fella Gan Qingjia...how can that playboy be so successful?

"Argh....why do I have to know about his identity?" Qi Jianqiu pulled her hair in frustration as she wandered aimlessly into the antechamber.

An attendant approached her. "Young miss, Master Xue has invited you to Manchun Tang, for a celebration of Master Gan."

"Master Gan? Gan Qingjia? What does he have that is ever worthy of celebration?" Argh! Why is he appearing everywhere?

"Master Gan has been appointed as a manager of the Trade Bureau by his Majesty; Master Xue is hosting a feast in celebration of that." The attendant  answered her questions to the best of his abilities.

"A manager of the Trade Bureau? That's a Rank 5 official!" Qi Jianqiu was perplexed. "Why did he suddenly decide to become an official? Wait a second, why did the Emperor even give him a position in court?"

"I don't know about that, young miss." The attendant shook his head.

"Never mind about that. I guess I'll check it out then; no need to follow me out today." Qi Jianqiu rubbed her temples and headed out of the household.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gan Qingjia and Xue Yiqi were already seated in the dining room when QI Jianqiu arrived at Manchun Tang, each sipping on a goblet of wine. Seeing her enter the room, Gan Qingjia swirled the wine in his goblet, gesturing towards Qi Jianqiu.

"Thought you'd be bringing some of your delicacies over for us; guess I shouldn't have had my hopes up huh?"

Xue Yiqi smiled at her. "I was afraid you wouldn't come."