Chapter 65: Good and Bad

Chief Fang stepped forward. "Your Majesty, I have just sent men to the 7th Prince's tent. It's been reported that there are twenty-two men missing from his entourage."

"7th Prince. So, Where are these men now? What a coincidence, for it to be the exact same number of assailants killed in the woods." The Emperor was emotionless.

"I have no idea, Father. Someone must have set me up! Please investigate further, Father!" The 7th Prince begged further. His eyes wandered amongst the crowd and landed upon Jiang Moyin. I'm sure he's the one responsible for this! My sishi had entered the Guan Mountains separately from me - there's no way men will be missing from my entourage! Why, why are they all helping the Heir!

"All evidence points to you, yet you still refuse to admit your hand in this." The Emperor shook his head disappointingly. "Take him away, and send him back to Chang'an. Put him into the Judicial Prison, and let Chamberlain Feng decide his punishment after the Autumnal Hunt."

"Yes, Your Majesty." All officials chorused as they went down on both knees, their voices covering the screams of the 7th Prince.

As Situ walked back to his tent, he brushed past Jiang Moyin and laughed at him. "So many underhanded tactics, I see." Without waiting for a reply, he quickly walked away.

Feng Luodi did not take a nap like Situ advised, but sat alone in her tent worrying for him. As soon as she heard the commotion coming from the entrance to the woods, she ran out and watched the whole scene unfold. She did not know the sishi of the 7th Prince when she saw their bodies being carried out, but she recognised the corpses of the two attendants that followed by the Heir wherever he went. These were good men that did not deserve to die! How can these men just die from the selfishness of one person?

She looked towards the Heir's tent, and saw the unconscious man being carried inside by others. She glared at the man who had his eyes closed. What a ruthless man!

"Your expression would be mistaken by people if they saw you right now." A voice sounded from behind her. Feng Luodi turned around to see Situ, who had appeared behind her without her knowing.

"Everyone is fine. Don't be so sad." Situ reached out a hand and wiped away her tears.

Feng Luodi did not move away, but angled her head towards Situ. "I remember clearly that you were the one who had told me that he was an ordinary but gentle man, respectful to his father and brothers. His kindness was why he was chosen by the Emperor to be the Heir."

"Yes, I did." Situ looked into her eyes.

"I also heard that the Heir has a good reputation for always trying to change the lives of the people for the better."

"Yes."

Feng Luodi laughed, but her eyes were still red. "I do not know anything about the political matters of the court, but if the Heir becomes the Emperor in the future, the utopia that Moyin is envisioning will never come true."

Her words were outrageous, but Situ did not stop her.

"The 7th Prince did intend to assassinate him, but he would never have succeeded - Moyin would have saw through any assassination attempt on him. Yet he chose to let the attempt proceed, not because he doubted the abilities of his followers, but rather to destroy the 7th Prince. He feels threatened by his brother's increasing influence, and despite always seeming so genial and brotherly to his siblings, he used the opportunity to get rid of the 7th Prince. He orchestrated all of this, manipulating the Emperor to remove the 7th Prince from power - such ruthlessness! With the way he does things, he will never be a just and righteous king."

Feng Luodi asked again. "How many of his Covert Guard are left?"

"Five. The other 15 bodies have been disposed of." Situ did not hide it from her.