Chapter 99: By the River

"Miss Crystal's voice is as melodious as I remember. If only I can get to hold her hand for once..." Qi Jianqiu mumbled under her breath unconsciously. As she enjoyed Crystal's performance, a familiar voice floated its way into her ears.

"Let you tell me the difference, Yiqi. Miss Crystal is pure and vibrant, while Miss Linglong is elegant. Miss Emerald, when she was still around, was tantalising and seductive." It was Gan Qingjia.

Xue Yiqi scratched his head. "Really? I could never tell the difference between them. Perhaps I haven't spent enough time with them yet."

"Alright, alright. Let's talk about the women you know better, then." Gan Qingjia rolled his eyes. "Miss Feng, the girl who Situ is close to, is poised and confident. Meanwhile, Miss Qi Jianqiu's beauty is dazzling to the eyes, bewitching all who lay their eyes on her. Can you tell the difference now?"

"Uhhhhh..." Xue Yiqi tousled his hair and grinned. "All I know is that Miss Qi is indeed really beautiful!"

Gan Qingjia snorted. What an honest boy! He was about to lecture the kid when he felt a burning gaze landing on his face. There is only one person who would look at me like that...

He spun to the left and his gaze met hers. Their voices echoed in unison.

"Why are you here again?"

Xue Yiqi looked to his left as well and smiled shyly. "What a coincidence, Miss Qi."

"Coincidental indeed." Qi Jianqiu rolled her eyes. "Why didn't you guys go to Moonglade instead? It would've been much better if we didn't meet."

"Why didn't you go to Moonglade then, Jianqiu?" Gan Qingjia gracefully waved the fan in his hand around, regaining his composure.

"Hey! Who gave you the right to call me by my name? What's more, am I not allowed to come to Smoke Mirrors today?" Qi Jianqiu glared at him. "Well, I never would've taken the two of you as gossipmongers!"

Xue Yiqi quickly shook his head, trying to explain himself. "Please don't be upset, Miss Qi. We were just chatting amongst ourselves; we did not say anything about you."

"Hmph!"

Xue Yiqi smiled awkwardly and quickly tried to change the topic. "I don't see Miss Feng here with you today?"

"Unlike the two of you who waste your days in these zither parlours, she has important matters to attend to!" Qi Jianqiu looked at the two of them in disdain.

Xue Yiqi smiled awkwardly again. If she says that of us, doesn't that apply to herself as well? Xue Yiqi pondered quietly. Thankfully, he was not so dense as to voice it out this time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, Feng Luodi was tending to that "important matter" of hers - none other than the arrival of one of the 10 Guqin. Fei had set out to retrieve Cloud Nine a few days prior, the Guqin having been located a while back by one of Autumnal Ombre's merchant caravans. The Guqin was due to arrive in Chang'an today, and the overjoyed Feng Luodi could barely wait to meet the Guqin, and Fei, by the river.

The river was used both as means of transport and as an area of entertainment, where artistes and poets alike gather on ferries and tour the river together. Perhaps Jianqiu and I could do that someday; I'm sure she's bored of the zither parlours by now.

"Young miss, will you be bringing either of us out today? The riverside will be crowded with tourists and the citizens alike; we wouldn't feel safe for you if you were out in the chaos alone!" Jet voiced her concerned as she slowly helped Feng Luodi get ready for her day.