Chapter 134: Troubling

The news of the attempted assassination on the General reached Chang'an and shook the court with force. The Emperor had appeared for three consecutive Morning Assemblies with an overcast expression, deeply troubled by the events that had plagued the year. First with the case of embezzlement that involved many high ranking officials of the court, then with the assassination of the Chief of the Army of the North, the most important general of the kingdom. Situ has yet to reach Chang'an, but the Emperor had already given orders for the investigation to begin.

"The attempted assassination of the Duke of Anping is as good as an attempted assassination on me!" The Emperor raged. At the end of the day, even if the Emperor had felt threatened by Situ's power and achievements, the Duke had represented the stability and safety of the kingdom and, to a certain extent, that of the Emperor.

The officials bowed their heads in court, not daring to speak a word. They knew that their liege was enraged.

Suddenly, the Minister of the Right stepped forward. "Your Majesty, I have something to say, but I do not know if I should."

"Speak your mind, Minister." The Emperor waved his hand in the air.

"The Duke commands of the Army of the North, and his assassination might mean an attempt to change the situation in the North. I am of the opinion that the pressing issue at hand is to send someone right away to Yunzhong Pass to warn the army of any attempted invasions." The Minister of the Right looked worried.

The Emperor realised the truth in his words with a start. "I'd assumed that the Duke of Anping had settled the matters of the North once and for all in the Spring of this year, but your opinion seems plausible indeed. Send word to the Passes of the North at once! I want all the information about the situation in the North relayed to Chang'an as soon as possible!"

An attendant quickly left with the decree.

The Heir stepped forward. "The Minister of the Right speaks wisely. The assassination of the Duke of Anping indicates a change in the situation in the North, and his injuries might have swayed the morale of the soldiers. That is why we should send a representative to the North as the Chief-in-lieu of the Army, to steady the hearts of the soldiers stationed in the Army of the North."

His words sparked an uproar amongst the officials, but the Emperor merely watched on quietly, observing the reactions of his subjects.

The Minister of the Right was the first to voice his disagreement. "I disagree, your Highness. The Duke will return to the capital by today, and it is not too late to discuss this after the Imperial Physician has given a diagnosis. The Duke has commanded the Army of the North for the past ten years; a sudden change in command might be the very cause of weakened morale in the soldiers." A few officials voiced their agreement to the Minister's statement.

The Heir shot a glance at the Minister of the Left demanding his support, but the Minister of the Left was deeply conflicted. He could see from the corner of his eye the vehement head-shaking of his son, Gan Qingjia. However, it was a surprising moment, for the Eighth Prince stepped forward and agreed with his brother.

"Father, I agree with the words of the Heir. The army cannot go one day without a commander, and the news of the assassination will shake the very kingdom as it spreads. I have a candidate that is suitable for the position of the commander: General Hu, who has roamed the battlefields alongside Chief Xue[1.The Defender-in-Chief of the kingdom, the Father of Xue Yiqi.] for years. He is experienced and the most suitable for the role of the Chief of Army."

The Heir had expected the recommendation of the Eight Prince. He quickly chimed in. "I am of the opinion that General Hu is only well versed about warfare in the West, and is not suitable for the battles of the North. Assistant Chief Han of the Imperial Army is more suitable for the position of the commander."