Chapter 36: Forbidden

His robe and undershirt were scarlet, with golden embroidery of mythical beasts spanning the length of the robe. A jade pendant of dark red hung from his waist, dangling above his scarlet waistcloth that depicted a roaring tiger. The edges of the waistcloth were gilded in gold, reflecting the setting sun along with his gleaming silver pauldrons. His hair was held up tightly by an ornamental crown, intricate carvings snaking along the edges of the headpiece. A few strands of hair fell out from his tight bun, swaying above his forehead as the wind blew. He was majestic and wild at the same time.

Feng Luodi walked towards the man, the sun setting in the distant horizon behind her. She smiled. "The 'Painting of Ten Miles' is indeed as beautiful as they say."

Situ turned. Seeing her, he pointed at the stone bench on the opposite side of the table. "Have a seat. I was waiting for you to arrive so that we can start drinking."

Feng Luodi glanced at the two unopened jugs of wine on the table, and raised an eyebrow in jest. "Oh? You were able to resist the temptation of this wine? Seems like it was a failed product."

Situ deftly opened the seal on the jars, and poured out two bowls[1] of wine, passing one to Feng Luodi. "The best for the last." He raised his bowl to Feng Luodi, and quickly downed it in one gulp, letting out a sigh of satisfaction. "It's as strong as I imagined it to be - even stronger than the Shaodaozi of the northern plains."

Feng Luodi smiled confidently. "Were you that eager to try my wine? That must mean that Autumnal Ombre is quite the success."

Situ poured himself a few more bowls of wine, and downed each of them repeatedly. For a brief moment, Feng Luodi could picture how he had passed his days when he was in the North: his back against a fallen tree, a bonfire by his side, and a flask of wine swirling in his hand. With the starlit sky above his head and the empty plains behind his back, he must have felt so infinitesimal in those lands.

Feng Luodi did not touch the bowl of wine handed to her, and instead stared at Situ. He brings the desolation of the plains in the North with him wherever he goes. Her gaze moved to his eyes. He has the eyes of a...lone wolf from the steppes: quiet and composed, yet fierce and confident. It's as if the plains of the North have already become a part of his being, the melancholy of the barren lands already infused into his identity.

"Aren't you going to drink that?" Situ's voice snapped Feng Luodi out of her daze.

Feng Luodi smiled, and quickly shook her hand. "I can't drink that. The alcohol percentage is too high for me."

"Alcohol percentage?" Situ repeated, obviously confused.

"Oh..." Feng Luodi realised her slip of the tongue. "I meant to say that the wine is too strong for me. I'll probably be gone after one bowl of wine."

Now Situ was even more puzzled. "Didn't you drink a few flasks of osmanthus wine by yourself, that day in Manchun Tang?"

"Come on now, that wine is about as strong as flavoured water." Feng Luodi pursed her lips. How can that osmanthus wine compare to my wine? I've used modern distilling techniques for spirits in the brewing of this wine!

"You're right, that cannot compare to the wine you have at Autumnal Ombre." Situ raised his bowl again, not feeling awkward at all that he was the only one drinking.

"Of course." Feng Luodi's smile reached her eyes, proud of her product.

"Why did you suddenly think of opening a liquor store? Thankfully, you weren't silly enough to show yourself often in the shop."

"Is that your concern?" Feng Luodi wiped her forehead exaggeratedly, her face amused. "I shall tell you the truth, seeing as how you're my friend." She shrugged. "I need the money. And the shop brings in revenue."