Chapter 97: Witty

"This restaurant looks pretty good." Qi Jianqiu glanced at the restaurant in front of her, but her eyes slowly shifted their focus to Moonglade down the street.

"We can go to Moonglade if you want to!" Feng Luodi laughed. "I know you'd want to head in there to check out the pretty artistes."

"But I'm dressed as a girl today!" Qi Jianqiu pouted.

"Oh come on." Feng Luodi rolled her eyes. "Everyone knows that you love the zither parlours."

"Luodi! How can you say that in public!" Qi Jianqiu hissed.

Feng Luodi shook her head and was just about to head into Moonglade with her friend when a familiar voice sounded off to the side.

"I see that we're heading to Moonglade today?"

"Of course. Miss Linglong is beautiful, while Miss Crystal is pure of heart. I say that it's best if we visit Miss Linglong today." That was a voice Qi Jianqiu was familiar with. The two girls turned to their right and saw Situ and Gan Qingjia.

"Hey! Didn't see you there just now, Jianqiu." Gan Qingjia stared at Qi Jianqiu intently, putting on his charismatic smile that's known to make girls swoon.

Unfortunately for him, Qi Jianqiu was unaffected by it. She glared at Gan Qingjia. "Who gave you the right to call me like that? Are we very close?"

"Are we not?" Gan Qingjia shrugged. "You're so adorable even when you're mad, Jianqiu."

"Hmph! I am beautiful, not adorable! Please get that right!" Qi Jianqiu huffed.

Meanwhile, the atmosphere between Feng Luodi and Situ was much more awkward. Feng Luodi looked at the man in front of her, unsure of what to say. Despite not having met him at all since their return from the North, Situ had sent many gifts of zithers to her. Every day, the Feng residence will receive zithers of all shapes and sizes from Situ, to a point where there's not enough room in her courtyard to house the zithers anymore. She'd tried to stop the attendants from bringing the gifts, but they only took orders from Situ.

What should I say right now? Feng Luodi racked her brains for a solution, but nothing came to her mind. She looked to Qi Jianqiu for help, but saw the two of them still engaged in a heated banter. Qi Jianqiu's face was flushed, but Gan Qingjia was clearly enjoying it, fondness evident in his eyes.

Fondness? Feng Luodi shuddered and decided to turn her attention back to Situ. What is he even doing! Why is he just staring at me like that? It's making me uneasy...

"Luodi! I'll be heading into Moonglade with this fella' over here right now to see which one of us is more popular! Wait a while before you come in with Situ!" Before Feng Luodi could reply, she turned and stalked off towards Moonglade. Gan Qingjia smiled as he bowed at Feng Luodi, quickly catching up to Qi Jianqiu already ahead of him.

Ahhhhh Jianqiu! Feng Luodi took a deep breath and turned around to face Situ, forcing a smile onto her face. "It's been some time."

Situ continued to stare at her, silent but intent. It was a while before he spoke up. "It has, indeed."

Pedestrians stared as they walked by, wondering to themselves. Is that couple over there arguing?

"Can you stop staring at me like that?" Finally, Feng Luodi could not stand it any longer. Before Situ could answer, a commotion broke out right in front of them. A young woman dressed in extravagant clothes was standing in front of the restaurant, her cheek flushed red. Despite her good looks and expensive clothes, she came off as arrogant and rude.