Chapter 114: Hurt

"Just look at this! What treachery is this!" The Emperor slammed a bunch of reports onto the floor in front of the officials before him. Attendants rushed to clear the mess on the floor.

"The governor of the Shanyin Province has been found guilty of embezzlement, causing a severe shortage of funds in the province's treasury and worsening the aftereffects of the floods in the area, causing thousands of my people to die of starvation! Now the people are turning their anger towards me! Even the original messenger bearing this report has been murdered! The Villa of Mount Baicha has been giving much aid to the area by sharing their food reserves with the public, and now the people only speak of their name!"

"My people should be mine to take care! Who is the Villa of Mount Baicha to do it for me?" The Emperor slammed his fist onto the table, coughing in his rage.

The officials quickly cried in unison. "Please calm your anger, your Majesty?"

"What use is that now?" The Emperor raged. His eyes fell upon the Heir.

"My Heir, haven't I set you upon this problem with the Villa? Tell me, then: what have you found out about the mastermind behind it? Why haven't you reported any of these important issues to me?"

The Heir stepped forward and tried to explained himself. "My apologies, Father. The Head of the Villa is a cunning man, and I have not managed to gather any information about his identity till this day."

The Emperor's face darkened, obviously displeased with the Heir's lack of results. His expression did not go unnoticed by the officials of the court, and Jiang Moyin sighed inwardly. The Heir can't go on like this anymore!

The 8th Prince stepped forward. "Father, I believe that the issue of utmost importance is to appease the people of the Shanyin Province. We have to uphold the image you have in the hearts of the people."

"You make sense, Ren'er."  The Emperor's face softened a little. He waved for the prince to continue. "What do you have in mind?"

"I suggest that we can fork out an amount from the Imperial Treasury for disaster relief, sending it to the Shanyin Province with a trusted official to help in the rebuilding of the counties. At the same time, Father can set someone on the case of the embezzlement, rooting out all the parties involved in this scandal. Furthermore, I believe that more people can be put on the issue of the Villa of Mount Baicha to aid the Heir in his investigation." The 8th Prince delivered his proposals coolly ad slowly, garnering nods and grunts of approval from the officials in court.

"Your proposals sets my heart at ease, Ren'er." The Emperor paused. "To appease the people of the Shanyin Province, you will go on my behalf, Ren'er. You are to bring all supplies and silver to the province to aid in disaster relief after a thorough check by the _________; do not disappoint me, my son."

"Yes, Father. I will not let you down." The 8th Prince could barely contain his excitement, kneeling to accept his appointment.

The Heir's face darkened and was about to step forward to voice his objection but the Minister of the Left quickly held him back. Ignoring the displeasure in the eyes of the Heir, the Minister shook his head. Now is not the time to go against the Emperor's wishes.

"Where is my Minister of the Right?" The Emperor continued.

"I am here, your Majesty. How may I be of service?" The Minister of the Right stepped forward and bowed to the Emperor.

"You are to investigate in the case of the embezzlement of the governor. Leave no stone unturned; I want every single evidence on my table at the end of your investigation." The Emperor's soft features were now commanded respect. "The 8th Prince is new to such matters; aid him whenever you see fit."