Chapter 72: To the North

"Duke of Anping. There've been reports from the North these days, about a certain unrest amongst the Huns. Speaking of which, you've spent the past two years resting in Chang'an; perhaps our neighbours are in need of a little reminder again." Situ stood in the hall, the Emperor looking down upon him from his throne.

Situ bowed. "Should I inspect the lands in the North, to quell such unrest? Perhaps we can do so to show our strength, lest they have forgotten. Perhaps we can exercise our troops in those lands to remind them of our might."

"You know me well, Situ." The Emperor laughed. "I approve of your request, then. You are to leave in two days. Show them what our troops are made of."

"Yes, your Majesty."

"Speaking of which, the Huns have long been a threat in the North, a problem that I haven't been able to solve all these years. If it wasn't for you, I probably wouldn't be sitting on the throne right now."

"It is only because of your wisdom, your Majesty. All the soldiers and officers of the armies will follow your every word to defend our kingdom." Situ bowed again, his face obscured as he bent lower towards the floor.

"You're too humble, Situ." The Emperor smiled. "I just wonder when we can claim the lands of the North for our own, instead of giving them the power of sovereignty. Only then, will I finally be able to rest easy."

"There's no rush for that, your Majesty. Our troops are mighty, but our weakness is our lack of numbers. Many of our people are still living in poverty, and the men are too busy trying to maintain their livelihood to think of attacking other countries. Your ambitions will naturally come true, once the kingdom is more prosperous, and the people are more united. "

"You are right, Duke of Anping." The Emperor's smile did not diminish, but a light flashed in his eyes. "You may leave to prepare now."

"Yes, your Majesty. I shall take my leave."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The cold winds blew into the capital from the North, and Feng Luodi experienced her first winter in Chang'an. I wonder what the city will look like, when the snow starts to fall and everything is blanketed in white.

The Second Lady was four months pregnant, and the entire household busied about every day, tending to her every need. Feng Luodi could not stand the hustle and bustle of the household, and left the house every day. The Chamberlain noticed her discomfort, and proposed an idea. "There's a villa that belongs to your Mother on the outskirts of the city. Why not you have a short vacation there."

Feng Luodi was more than happy to seize this opportunity to escape all the hubbub, and was about to inform Qi Jianqiu of her plans when she was approached by Situ.

"I'm heading to the North to inspect the troops at the borders - would you like to come with me? I remember you said that you'd always wanted to see the stars in the plains of the North."

Feng Luodi froze on the spot, conflict written plainly on her face.

"Give it some thought. I'll be leaving the day after tomorrow." Situ hurried off quickly, busy preparing for the Journey North.

And so Feng Luodi sat in the teahouse across from Qi Jianqiu, her rational side fighting a losing battle with her emotional side. She desperately wanted to see the desert for herself - that was indeed a wish she'd had for a long time. But what about my other responsibilities in Chang'an? What about the rest of the Guqin? What about Autumnal Ombre? What about Mother? What about...

"Ow!" Feng Luodi was interrupted from her daydreaming with a flick on her forehead by Qi Jianqiu.

"If you want to go that badly, just go! It's a rare chance indeed to head outside like that. Although I'd prefer if you don't spend so much time with that man, I know you really want to go to the North."