Chapter 146: Circumstances

The sudden silence caused Feng Luodi's heart to stop beating. The men all stared at Situ and waited for his reply. The ladies all stared at her, watching for her reaction.

Feng Luodi gave a simple yet elegant smile and sat upright. The Second Lady gently placed her hand over her's and patted her lightly.

"I was injured and laid in bed for half a month. During this time, I didn't have the chance to serve you at all. What honour do I have to be able to get such rewards?" Situ said in a cold and calm voice.

Everyone heaved a sigh of relief. Luckily the Duke of Anping handled it in a mature manner and didn't get proud of his achievements.

The Emperor's eyes were still icy. "You can take it as a consolation then. Please choose something."

Everyone's gaze returned to Situ. Situ stood up calmly and bowed to the Emperor. "Thank you for your kindness, your Majesty. Since you are so kind, I wish to ask for an item that would bring a smile to the face of my loved one."

Almost everyone turned to look at Feng Luodi. Feng Luodi's face burned with embarrassment but she still had to smile at everyone. She felt helpless. Ever since a long time ago, he was dying to let the whole world to know about their relationship.

The Emperor responded with interest. It was a waste that from this distance, he couldn't see the officials' families' expression under the dim lighting.

"Since you love your woman so much, I will definitely give my consent. What is it that you want?"

"Thank you, your Majesty," Situ said each word carefully, "it is a zither known as Burnt Ends."

Everyone knew that the daughter of Chamberlain Feng had a huge love for zithers.

The Emperor's smile faded and he signalled to the Imperial Attendant beside him. The Imperial Attendant understood the signal and ordered people to bring the zither from the imperial storeroom.

"I remembered it. It was given to me a few years ago by the tribes of the West. A good zither must be used by a good zither player."

Situ bowed his head and hid his expression while thanking the Emperor again. Very soon, the zither was sent to Feng Luodi. The ladies from the other tables all looked at her with envy. However, they did not dare to say anything. Their families had warned them against provoking Feng Luodi. If they provoked her, they would suffer the same fate as Princess Shangrong.

Feng Luodi was engulfed in a whirlwind of emotions. Situ had just personally sent me the seventh Guqin. If he knew that this zither could allow me to return to the 21st Century, what would he think?

"Luodi," the Second Lady called her softly.

Feng Luodi woke up from her thoughts and bowed down to thank the Emperor. Then, she started chatting with the people around her again.

After a while, the Emperor talked about the second news: the two Ministers would become relatives by marriage ten days after the Autumnal Feast. Everyone could go and attend their wedding that day. The people that wanted to use the issue to create trouble could only shut up after the Emperor had made his decision.

The third news followed immediately.

"I am very happy with the Eight Prince lately. He is a considerate person and he is filled with integrity. He and Concubine Shu would be in-charge of the Mid-autumn banquet 15 days later."

The Eight Prince happily accepted the order. The other officials exchanged glances with each other.

The Autumnal Feast was a treat for the officials. As for the Mid-autumn banquet, the main stars are the princes and the dukes. Only officials who are higher than 3rd Rank and with a good record can attend the banquet and visit the Imperial Garden. For the past few years, the banquet was held by the Heir and the Empress. Although the Heir was removed from his position, the Empress was not and the Second Prince was still staying in the palace. Many had thought that the organisation of the banquet would be handled by a few of the concubines but the Emperor gave this honour to the Eight Prince. Although Feng Luodi and Qi Jianqiu were mere ladies, their loved ones were not. Under their influence, they knew some of the things that were happening in court and sometimes gave advice. After hearing the decision made by the Emperor, both of them instinctively started to worry for Situ and Gan Qingjia.