Chapter 53: Detained

Situ's face darkened when he heard Constable Zheng's words. "No one, dares to speak like that to me."

"Your Grace, I am just trying to do my job." Constable Zheng was unmoved.

Scarlet tugged on Feng Luodi's sleeve. "Young miss, what should we do now?"

Feng Luodi placed her left hand on Situ's arm that gripped her elbow, gesturing for him to let her go. "Abiding by the law, I'll have to follow them to the yamen for questioning. I cannot resist, especially seeing as how Father is the Chamberlain of Justice; it'll reflect badly upon him."

Situ's jaw tightened. "Don't you dare go with them! There's nothing a small Administrator and his constables can do about it if I stand my ground."

"Situ!" Feng Luodi glared at him. "The Administrator is a reasonable man, and I'm sure he wouldn't resort to immoral methods to interrogate me."

"Hmph!" Situ snorted. "That's because you haven't seen how ruthless the man can get!"

Feng Luodi pulled him closer and whispered into his ear. "I want you to send a message to my Father and tell him about my situation! He must be careful not to fall into any traps they have laid out for him!"

Situ backed out of her grip, and looked closely at her. He nodded. "Keep your wits about you when you're in the yamen."

Feng Luodi nodded, and Situ turned to Constable Zheng. "I do not wish to see any of the underhanded methods used on her during her questioning. Did I make myself clear?"

"Of course, Your Grace. Her detention is only routine; the Administrator would not interrogate her so soon." Constable Zheng stepped forward to escort Feng Luodi.

Scarlet followed for a few steps, wiping away the tears that streamed down her cheek. "Young miss!"

"Your young missus would be fine." Situ said impatiently. "Man the shop. I will head to the Feng household."

"Yes, your Grace." Fei quickly held onto Scarlet as they watched Situ stalk out of the shop.

"The Duke looked really scary just now!" Scarlet sniffed. Fei patted her back wordlessly, but a light flashed through his eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feng Luodi followed behind Constable Zheng as they headed back to the yamen. She'd asked a questions about the case of the contraband salt, but the constable had been tight lipped about the details. From what she'd learned, she gathered that the evidence and the witnesses gathered against her were enough to indict her; the only way to clear her name was to find evidence that the head of the merchants were lying about her involvement. However, all that depended on the Administrator's willingness to go the extra mile to prove her innocence.

Feng Luodi was immediately shown into her cell upon reaching the yamen - she did not even get the chance to meet the Administrator.

"Argh." Feng Luodi sighed, looking around her cell. At least the bedding is clean and dry, and the cell looks clear of cockroaches and rats. I thank my lucky stars for that.

She sat down by the edge of the bed and sighed again. "Seems like all sorts of things can happen to you when you've spent enough time in a place, eh?" Feng Luodi shook her head and tried to make light of the situation she was in. However, before she knew it, she was overcome by a familiar giddiness.

The circle of light appeared in her vision, and so did Phantom, wearing his usual black clothes and emotionless face.

"Didn't you say that my soul and my body is already in sync the last time we met? Why is this happening again?"