Chapter 143: Outcome

Situ and Feng Luodi sat waiting in his residence, time passing as Situ teased the uneasy Feng Luodi. Finally, Feng Luodi was influenced by Situ's confidence and composure, keeping her heart at rest as she slowly sipped her tea. Naturally, Situ's jokes fell short afterwards.

Situ could only laugh helplessly at his plight. Things are finally calm again; even if the road ahead is dangerous and filled with traps, we will bring about the bloom of flowers where we go.

Noon slowly came about, and Feng Luodi saw the head steward, Xiang Bo, helping an old man walking towards Situ's pavilion. The old man walked slowly as his feet shuffled slowly along the way, but his face was bright and lively, bearing with him the usual geniality of old people and the slight ferocity of a warrior.

His face bears an uncanny resemblance to...

Feng Luodi spun around to look at Situ, just in time to see him get to his feet, a smile on his face. Situ quickly walked up to the man, Feng Luodi quickly following behind him.

"Father!" Situ took the hand of Senior General Situ, the usually intimidating general melting into a filial son, the change shocking Situ.

However, Senior General Situ's eyes found Feng Luodi and he smiled kindly, patting Situ's hands that supported him. "This must be Miss Feng, as Xiang Bo has mentioned repeatedly in his letters."

Feng Luodi suddenly felt as if she was meeting her future in-law. She quickly searched her brain for the right title to address the old man. "Blessings, General Situ." She curtsied.

"Good, good indeed." Senior General Situ laughed heartily and patted Situ's hand, the two of them slowly moving towards the pavilion. Feng Luodi backed out of their way and stepped aside, fully intending to sneak away. A cough from Situ and Xiang Bo appeared in her path.

"Please, Miss Feng. The old general had just come from the palace and has many things to say to you."

Feng Luodi took a deep breath and, putting on the most damsel-like smile she could muster, stepped into the pavilion. She glared at Situ before taking a seat in a corner of the pavilion, listening to the conversation between the other two.

"It's just as you've predicted: the Heir has been removed from his position as the Heir, and is now imprisoned in the palace. But nobody dared to suggest the matter of reinstating a new Heir Apparent due to the anger of the Emperor."

Situ's lips curved upwards into a smile. "The Emperor must be growing soft if he lets the prince stay in the palace for the rest of his life even after his indictment."

"The Emperor is already displeased about the matter. Muye, your position would be more difficult in the future."

Feng Luodi's heart clenched as she heard the words. If someone, as experienced as the old general, deems Situ's situation as precarious, it must be much worse than I actually predicted!

"Ha!" Senior General Situ belted hearty laughter as he got to his feet, clapping a strong hand onto Situ's shoulder. "I shan't say any more; go and comfort that worried girl over there." He shot a teasing look at Feng Luodi before slowly wobbling away with the support of the head steward.

Feng Luodi stood up confusedly and slowly walked towards Situ. "Is Senior General Situ not staying? I'm sure the two of you have not seen in each in a long while; is he not going to spend more time with you?"

Situ shook his head. "He can't stand being in Chang'an for a second longer than he absolutely has to be."

Feng Luodi rolled her eyes. "Then aren't you going to send him to the door? You are his son!"