Chapter 189: Pass Away

Even many years later, Feng Luodi could still recall what happened on this day.

She kept thinking: If she had never come to the Xuan Kingdom, what happened afterwards would never have happened. She wouldn't have gotten acquainted with Situ Muye nor Jiang Moyin.

If they hadn't met, then their fates wouldn't have been intertwined and she wouldn't have to reproach herself for the rest of her life about the mistakes concerning that matter.

The imperial guards besieged Situ and the others while the Emperor confronted Situ, separated by the crowd.

Just when the Emperor thought that everything was going according to plan, that he could record Situ's crimes into the annals, have the imperial guards encircle and annihilate Situ, reclaim the military power and fulfil his wish before he died, Jiang Moyin appeared.

What mattered wasn't Jiang Moyin's appearance but the words he'd said.

At that instant, a Court Historian stopped moving the brush in his hand and stared at the Emperor in bewilderment.

If there was someone in the Xuan Kingdom's court who wouldn't participate in the grapple between the factions and was extremely loyal to the sovereign, that would be a Court Historian. The court historians didn't care about their own ending. Their duty was to record history and history was written by the victors. Hence, their loyalty to the sovereign was towards the victor and not the Emperor.

The Emperor was struggling heedlessly before his death and the real victor was perhaps the First Prince who would be crowned as the new heir to the throne the next day.

The court historians had a tacit understanding of each other as they stopped their movements simultaneously. Such behaviour caused the Emperor's face to darken.

He stared at Jiang Moyin, who was clad in simple white clothes, with a profound look on his face.

"Jiang Moyin, what are you talking about? With your ill and weak body, where did you get the energy to plan this matter? Besides, you don't even have an official position anymore, so where did you get the manpower to do all that?"

The Emperor got more and more worked up as he spoke. He was completely unaware of the fact that his current behaviour made him look like someone performing a farce in others' eyes.

"Say, are those men standing beside Duke of Anping your people? Are you able to call out their names?"

It seemed as if the longer the farce persisted, the more it made the bystanders unable to laugh, sighing in their heart instead. Back then, he was a brilliant youth, who didn't have a very powerful background. He only concerned himself with military affairs and ascended the throne step by step while soaked in blood. He then became a benevolent Emperor who actively implemented new policies for the welfare of the commoners. He put in every effort and did his utmost for the prosperity of the nation. He even dreamed of a grandiose plan for hegemony, to unite the other nations as one. How was the person standing before them now the same Emperor Cheng of the Xuan Kingdom?

He was simply a pitiful elderly person.

Sorrow suddenly welled up in Feng Luodi's heart. She didn't like the struggles in the imperial harem and didn't like the struggles in the inner residence of eminent households. Unexpectedly, there were even more conspiracies in court, which consequently implicated the people in the inner residence. However, the Emperor wouldn't consider this point. He would exploit the inner residence to control the court, but little did he know that such conduct had invoked antipathy and disdain in people's heart.

Before this, the Eighth Prince and the Eleventh Prince were more than willing to take Situ down. But, they were more sagacious than their Imperial Father, they knew when to restrain themselves.