Chapter 150: The Game of Thrones

The Emperor looked at the malicious, power-thirsty Second Prince, at a sudden loss for words. It was not that long ago when this son of his favourite, the one that he was prepared to pass the throne on to. Yes, he was not outstanding in performance, but he had shown the desire to learnt to be a good Emperor. Then why did things turn out like that? Why was the pursuit of power all he'd focused on?

Thoughts ran through the mind of Emperor as he slowly scanned the crowd, taking in the scared looks on the faces of the Eighth Prince and the Eleventh Prince, both standing as far away from him as they could. Surprisingly, the people who stood their ground right next to him was his two concubines and the First Prince whom he'd never favoured.

"So, what's it going to be, Father? My dear Eighth Brother and Eleventh Brother have staged a coup against you, and I'm here to protect you from them! Do my loyal actions warrant my seat on the throne as a reward?" The Heir looked smug.

The Emperor raised a finger at the Second Prince, shaking with rage. "You unfilial son! Chief Li will arrive very soon with the rest of the Imperial Army! Lay down your weapons now and I can be more lenient on your punishment!"

"What a pity." The Heir gloated. "Chief Li is going to die in duty very soon by the hands of the rebellion instigated by my two brothers, while Assistant Chief Wu is still on duty, patrolling the other side of the palace. It'll take him about an hour to get here if he hurries."

The Emperor was at a loss for words. A cough racked his frame, and blood seeped through his lips. Feng Luodi was shocked at what she saw. She tugged on Situ's sleeve, but was surprised to see him calm and collected, seemingly unfazed by the threat of the Second Prince.

"You have a plan?" Feng Luodi whispered. The Imperial Army brandished cold steel in their hands, and blood dripped from the edge of many of them. Situ placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder and stretched a hand behind him. Gan Qingjia stepped forward and handed him his sword. Around them, many other officials did the same, seemingly unafraid of the Imperial Army.

"Well, it does seem like most of you do not agree to my proposal? Well then, I shall not be so courteous anymore. Perhaps some blood will help you make up your mind, Father." The Second Prince waved a hand through the air, and the Imperial Army charged at the crowd.

The officials quickly ran from the soldiers, trying to dodge their swinging blades. The Emperor smashed a teapot on the floor, his face cold with anger. Dozens of men garbed in black appeared from nowhere, protecting the Emperor and his subjects in a defensive cycle, attempting to repel the soldiers.

"Have you finally decided to mobilise your Shadow Guards, Father? What a pity; they're no match for my soldiers." The Heir grinned as if the throne was already in his grasps.

The colour of red, the sound of steel cutting into flesh, and the falling bodies. Feng Luodi's eyes widened in shock as she took in all that was happening around her, unable to make a sound. Around her, the princesses screamed in fear, but she took no notice.

"Don't look." A familiar voice sounded next to her and a hand quickly covered her eyes, Situ's warm breath lending her a measure of comfort. With his other hand, Situ grabbed chopsticks from the table nearby and with great precision, threw them at the soldiers of the Imperial Army, each chopstick finding its mark like a swift arrow.

However, despite their best efforts, the Second Prince was right: the Shadow Guards were no match for the Imperial Army. Overwhelmed by sheer numbers, it wasn't long before the Shadow Guards started falling one by one. The dancers and attendants that tried to escape through the chaos were mercilessly cut down by the soldiers that maintained the perimeter.

The Emperor assessed the situation quickly, frowning as he cursed underneath his breath. "Why isn't Assistant Chief Wu and his men here yet?"

Situ frowned, knowing that his predictions of the situation were correct: the Emperor was trying to delay the Second Prince for the reinforcements to arrive. Assistant Chief Wu was to arrive with the ten thousand soldiers of the Imperial Army; the troops stationed outside of the capital were too far away to be of any help. Gan Qingjia tapped Situ, nodding when Situ turned to look at him. Situ narrowed his eyes. The time is now.