Chapter 166: The Settling Dust

The Emperor's second imperial decree made Situ and the others understand that the Eighth Prince's power had already reached the extent where it could not be stopped by the Emperor and the Eleventh Prince. In Dingtao Province, the most dangerous surveillants were not the Emperor's shadow guards but the spies of the Eighth Prince.

"They are faster than I had expected," Situ said indifferently. The astonishment in his eyes had already vanished.

When the first imperial decree was issued, that was the Emperor's sounding them out and testing them. The Eighth Prince was powerless then. Whereas, now that the second imperial decree was issued, it signified that the Emperor is also no longer able to restrain the Eighth Prince's actions in Chang'an. He needed the First Prince to return to Chang'an while the Eighth Prince hoped that the First Prince would immediately commit a crime after returning to Chang'an. Xue Yiqi was very worried as he looked at the First Prince whose expression had suddenly changed.

"If we don't return to Chang'an quickly, it will be hard for Qingjia to control the general situation."

The First Prince said faintly after a long while.

"Your Highness, you don't need to worry. We will set off in three days."

Xue Yiqi and Feng Luodi cast a sidelong glance at Situ in surprise when they heard his words.

A delighted expression immediately flickered across the First Prince's eyes. He knew that there was nothing Situ could not settle in this world. With Situ's support, I will definitely accomplish my great ambitions.

~~~

Meanwhile, Shangguan Yan who was lying in ambush in the underground prison stretched her limbs out of boredom and complained to Lu Buping beside her.

"Will that Qing Cheng Sect's leader really come? How can he not see through such an obvious trap?"

Lu Buping was still haunted by the traumatic experience in this underground prison and was currently feeling very uneasy.

"Probably. Situ understands some things really well, things such as the minds of people."

Shangguan Yan twitched her mouth in disdain. "They are the ones who want to capture the culprit! Why are we the ones responsible for the ambush? We are martial arts experts. Why are we carrying out the jobs of the authorities?"

Wasn't it because as soon as Xue Yiqi volunteered himself, you took on the responsibility yourself as you were afraid that he is no match for Sect Leader Xiao? Lu Buping only dared to say this in his heart. If he had said it out loud, Shangguan Yan would definitely beat him up violently.

The two of them squatted on the beam of the underground prison until their legs were numb. While Governor Tian was detained in there, he still had a straw mat spread out to lie on so he was much more relaxed than them. Minutes passed again. Just as the impatient Shangguan Yan finally left, a few jailers silently collapsed onto the floor. Immediately, a person in black appeared in the underground prison.

"Governor Tian, I hope you have been well since we last met."

The familiar chilly voice caused Governor Tian to spring up from his bed. He nervously looked at the person in black who was preparing to slash at the prison's huge lock.

"Xiao Zhengran, are you really going to be this heartless and eradicate me?"

Qing Cheng Sect's Sect Leader Xiao pulled down his mask, revealing a ruthless smile.

"Only the dead can't talk." As he spoke, he pulled out his sword and hacked it at him but it was stopped by a broadsword in midair.

"It's you again, Lu Buping." Xiao Zhengran's expression became even more fiendish and his tone was fierce. "You think you can win me? I was merely feigning my skills at the hexagon pavilion back then."