Chapter 56: Mastermind

"Duke of Anping, Grand Tutor." Chamberlain Feng entered the antechamber and bowed formally to the two men.

"No need to be so polite, Chamberlain. Please, have a seat." Jiang Moyin gestured politely.

The Chamberlain took a seat, cupped his hands together and thanked the two of them. "Sorry to trouble you with my daughter."

"It's no trouble at all." Jiang Moyin smiled. "I am Luodi's elder brother, after all. I cannot just stand by and watch if she's in a pickle."

"The honour is my daughter's."

Situ watched coldly as the two of them exchanged formalities, and went straight to the point. "I believe that Chamberlain Feng is only here after hearing the news?"

"Indeed." The Chamberlain nodded. "I am unable to interfere with the Administrator's investigation, but I've done my own digging."

"Please enlighten us, Chamberlain." Jiang Moyin invited.

"I was approached by the 7th Prince a year ago, regarding a crime committed by a member of the royal family. I had spurned his intentions and reported the case as per normal. Afterwards, Concubine Shu had approached my wife a few times regarding the marriage between the 7th Prince and my daughter, while the prince himself had visited my household more than once, despite me denying all of his advances. I'm sure you know what that entails."

"The 7th Prince wants you to join his side." Jiang Moyin nodded along. "Or, to put it frankly, he wants the power of the Judicial Bureau in his wings."

"There is another thing." The Chamberlain, who had always maintained a neutral position in court, continued on. "I find myself incapable of controlling the ambitions of my subordinates." He turn to Situ. "I'm sure the Duke knows who I'm talking about."

Situ remained silent, while Jiang Moyin asked. "What do you mean?"

"They have since ceased to listen to me." The Chamberlain stood up. "I have to deliver the report regarding the Yuzhang Commandery Prince into the palace. Please excuse me."

Jiang Moyin stood up as well. "Are you not intending to check on Luodi?"

"No need for that." The Chamberlain shook his head. "Luodi has been implicated in this because of me, but it is also time for me to keep a tighter rein on her."

Jiang Moyin watched as the head steward escorted the Chamberlain out of sight before he turned back to Situ. "A man of few words, wise and concise."

Situ raised an eyebrow and nodded.

There was a pause before Jiang Moyin spoke again. "I have some evidence of the 7th Prince's misdeeds, something that will definitely abhor the Emperor. With the addition of the information you've gathered, we should be able bring him down. What do you say we work together?"

Situ shook his head. "I have no intention of working with the Heir as of this moment."

Jiang Moyin laughed. "Alright then, I'll be going as well."

Just as Situ turned to return to his courtyard, a member of the Covert Guard appeared in front of him.

"General, I bring good news. The people assigned to keep watch at the prison witnessed a meeting between the leader of the group of merchants. They overheard the man blackmailing the leader with the safety of his family, promising to release them once Miss Feng is indicted three days later. I have seen the man before - he is a sishi[1. The Sishi are a group of loyal followers to a certain person in power, loyal to their deathbed. They are mostly responsible for the underhanded work that the rich have to do. The original Chinese characters meaning "Death Warriors" - a little too melodramatic to put it in the context of the novel :P] working for the 7th Prince."