Chapter 49: Ruse

Despite being rebuked during the feast, the Ailao ambassador quickly approached Situ as soon as the feast had ended.

"General Situ, I was wondering if we could have a drink together now that the feast has ended. I've always admired your bravery and accomplishments."

"Isn't the West guarded by the Defender-in-chief, General Xue? How would you know about my accomplishments then?" Situ and Gan Qingjia slowly made their way out of the hall, the ambassador tagging behind them.

"That just goes to show how famous and inspiring you are, General Situ! Your name even reaches faraway lands, such as ours."

Situ inwardly rolled his eyes. He was never the kind to entertain such guests and engage them in small talk, this work was mostly left to the other Generals. Out of the corner of his eye, he caught Gan Qingjia winking furiously at him. Elder Brother! Bait him into the trap now! The ambassador continued droning on and on about Situ's deeds and bravery, but before Situ could reply, an attendant came running towards them.

"Is something the matter?" Situ quickly asked the attendant. He was not surprised to see the attendant reporting to him instead of one his Covert Guards; it was inappropriate for the Guards to appear in the palace.

"Your Grace, Miss Feng is currently at your residence. She is injured, but is unwilling to enter the household."

"Injured? How serious is it?" Situ took off immediately.

The Ailao ambassador quickly held him back. "General Situ! What about our drink together?"

"Just drink with my brother here; he can represent me." Situ grabbed Gan Qingjia, pushed him into the arms of the Ailao ambassador, and hastened back to his household with the attendant behind him.

"Uhm...this..." The ambassador was stunned by the sudden change of events. What just happened? Before he knew it, Gan Qingjia was guiding him through the streets of Chang'an.

"Let's go! Chang'an is only fun in the night. I know a good place where we can have a drink!"

"But...what about General Situ?" The Ailao ambassador was confused.

"I'm the man to talk to if you want to know more about General Situ. Let's go! I'll let you have a night to remember!" Gan Qingjia slung an arm around the ambassador's shoulder, half-dragging the man into the streets of Chang'an.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Your Grace, there is no hurry! Miss Feng had only twisted her ankle!" The attendant called out to Situ as he spurred his horse. A few metres ahead of him, Situ was charging forward on his steed, a horse whip in his hand. Situ ignored the calls of the attendant, fully concentrated on getting back to his residence as quickly as possible.

He saw her as he approached the household, a figure in a white robe sitting atop the steps, her knees hugged close to her chest. The dim light of the streetlamps bathed her in a warm light, and for that moment, she was the only thing in Situ's eyes. The attendants and stewards gathered around her had all disappeared from vision, and Feng Luodi was all he could see.

Situ dismounted, and waved the head steward away before he spoke. The attendants and stewards quickly returned to the household, and Situ walked over to Feng Luodi. His voice was soft and gentle.

"The night is cold, shall we go in?"

Feng Luodi raised her head and smiled. "There you are."

It was as if the world had stopped. Nothing else mattered, except for her brilliant eyes. Finally, I am the only one in her eyes.