Chapter 85: Death

Feng Luodi remembered Jiang Moyin's words: to know what someone is truly thinking, you only have to look carefully. I guess he's right; although all of them try to hide their emotions behind a mask, they cannot maintain their façade forever.

I guess I can see what he mean. Feng Luodi thought quietly to herself as she observed the ceremony quietly from the side of the room. The ceremony was over, and the new bride was waiting for her husband in their bedroom. Each of the guests toasted their congratulations to the Crown Prince individually, offering their blessings to the newlyweds. Why do I just find it so...ridiculous? Their true emotions and their words don't match up at all.

"Have some pomegranate wine - a local specialty." Situ poured her another goblet of wine, attracting her attention. "Like I said, all you have to do is to eat."

"Alright." Feng Luodi nodded, taking a swig of the wine without thinking twice. She choked. "It's so strong! How is pomegranate wine so strong?"

"Is it?" Situ puzzled, setting his own goblet aside. "It's much weaker than the Shaodaozi we drink."

"Hey. Shaodaozi is as strong as my Autumnal Ombre, alright?" Feng Luodi glared at him, feeling the effects of the spirit immediately. Her tolerance for alcohol was as low as ever, but unfortunately for her, the wines in the Xuan Dynasty only seemed to come at both extremes of the spectrum: either too watered down or way too strong.

Situ steadied her with a hand, his gaze landing on her reddened cheeks and her moist, red lips. What a beautiful and ephemeral night it is.

Unconsciously, he stepped forward and his arm snaked around Feng Luodi's waist. Under the surprised gaze of the officer beside them, he carried her into his arms. Reflexively, her arms shot around his neck, clinging onto him for balance. He walked out of the banquet with her in his arms, the head steward quickly guiding them back to their room.

Gently, he lowered her onto the bed. Looking at her delicate features, unguarded and relaxed, Situ sat by the bed and sighed. All beautiful moments are indeed ephemeral.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A hoarse cry broke the deep of the night.

"Assassin! The Crown Prince has been murdered!"

"Get General An immediately! Surround the residence; let no one out!"

Feng Luodi sat up on the bed, holding a hand to her head. She peered out of the window in confusion. Did I hear wrongly? How is it that the Crown Prince is assassinated on the day of his wedding? How can that happen?

Shaking her head, Feng Luodi shuffled to the table and poured herself a cup of tea. Lazily, she pushed open the door of her room. Quattor appeared before her.

"Miss Feng, the General invites you to the antechamber whenever you're ready."

"Has the Crown Prince really been assassinated?" Feng Luodi could not wrap her mind around the situation.

Quattor nodded. "His body has been found in the study."

"The study? What's he doing there on the night of his big day!" Feng Luodi was perplexed.

Quattor shook his head. "My guess is as good as any. Miss Feng, you can have some light snacks and freshen up before you head to the antechamber. You might be spending a lot of time in there after this."

"No need for that, I'll be there as soon as I get changed. Argh, the smell of alcohol clings to my clothes." Feng Luodi waved her hand as she turned to return to her room.