Chapter 179: A Myriad of Mixed Feelings

Ever since his daughter woke up after falling into the water when she was seventeen, he had never been able to guess her thoughts accurately anymore.

Chamberlain Feng looked at Feng Luodi who'd immersed herself in contemplation and he couldn't help but sigh.

Before Feng Luodi met with a mishap that year, he busied himself with work and the Eldest Madam's illness, consequently neglecting Feng Luodi, who almost never left the house. That was also because he'd hoped for her to have the demeanour of a daughter from an eminent family. She should play the zither, grow flowers and stay at house obediently. Then, when she reached an appropriate age, he would pick a suitable husband for her.

After that incident, however, his viewpoint completely changed. It made him realise that a daughter like that was similar to a wooden puppet. Repeating the same things every day didn't count as experiencing life to its fullest. He started to encourage her to go out more and acknowledged the friends she made outside. He also didn't question why she was so bent on finding the ten famous Guqins.

However, he never expected that his daughter, whom he'd assumed to be a quiet, elegant and low-spirited girl, would actually become friends with influential figures in Chang'an like the number one beauty, Qi Jianqiu and the Four Gentlemen. Moreover, amongst her friends, he discerned that his daughter's relationship with the Duke of Anping wasn't ordinary.

One's life was more important than happiness. This had always been the reason why Chamberlain Feng had prevented Feng Luodi from interacting with Situ. After going through many upheavals, he changed his ideology once again. As long as there was happiness, one's life no longer really counted as anything.

Marriage was something that would naturally occur when the conditions were right. When Chamberlain Feng acknowledged Situ, he was also naturally willing to protect him. He'd been an official for many years and also understood a little about the fear in the Emperor's heart as he debilitated with age. Hence, everything that occurred today was within his predictions. Today, he finally made use of the chess piece that he'd planted in the Imperial Palace many years ago. When the Emperor's people came to the Feng Residence and the Duke of Anping's Residence, he'd taken out everything he'd prepared to put on an act.

Chamberlain Feng initially thought that his daughter was willing to accept all this but why did Feng Luodi's expression make him feel anxious instead? How could he possibly feel apprehended by his own daughter? This was ridiculous.

Under Chamberlain Feng's complicated gaze, Feng Luodi pondered for a while and smiled faintly as she said, "I didn't expect Father to have a chess piece hidden in the Imperial Palace right under the Emperor's watchful eyes. I'm truly impressed."

"This isn't the main point."

Chamberlain Feng knitted his brows as he emphasised, "Luodi, it can't be that you're unwilling to marry Duke of Anping, right?"

When she heard him phrase it in such a blunt manner, a faint smile blossomed on her face again.

"I'll follow Father's arrangements. The betrothal gifts have been accepted and the marriage certificate has already been drawn out, so how could I back out of this now?"

Chamberlain Feng furrowed his brows again, ultimately unable to see through Feng Luodi's inner thoughts.

Feng Luodi quickly added, "But, it's better to wait until everything has been settled before we fix the wedding date. Since Father is busy with official affairs, I shall take my leave first."

Chamberlain Feng watched his daughter leave as she opened the door of the study. The sunlight immediately shone in and diffused throughout the room, blinding everything in sight. Amidst the dazzling light, Feng Luodi's departing figure appeared ethereal.