Chapter 25: Sparks Fly

Suddenly, Feng Luodi broke the silence and laughed lightly. "It's alright, I was just asking. I'm sure you spoke the truth."

The servant wiped his brow that had already been covered in a sheen of sweat, from Feng Luodi's intimidating demeanour. Just as he thought he would be allowed to leave, Feng Luodi continued.

"As you said, the handmaidens were not in charge of safekeeping the zithers, but were the personal handmaidens of Linglong. Surely they would know the habits and schedules of her daily life?"

"Of course they do." The servant nodded. "That's their responsibility as the personal handmaidens of Miss Linglong."

Feng Luodi nodded but kept quiet, deep in her own thoughts.

The servant looked at her cautiously, obviously intimidated by her commanding presence when questioning him previously. "If you have no other questions for me, Miss Feng, may I proceed on my way? I was about to serve these snacks in the antechamber."

"Alright. I have nothing else for you." She paused. "What's your name? You've helped me a great deal today."

"My name is Shun, Miss Feng." Shun bowed. "I'll take my leave."

As soon as Shun disappeared from their sight, Qi Jianqiu excitedly grabbed Feng Luodi by her arm, her eyes full of admiration. "I never knew you could be so commanding, Luodi!"

Jiang Moyin chimed in. "Neither did I. Luodi, seems like aside the gift of musical talent, you also have the gift of the gab!"

Feng Luodi glanced at him. "Luodi?" Since when are we so close? This is only the second time I've met him...

"We've had lunch together, listened to a performance together, and now we have investigated a case together. Doesn't that make us friends?" Jiang Moyin's tone was casual and confident.

"Of course, I was just surprised." The two of them exchanged a look, and smiled. The smiles were warm, and seemed to light up the courtyard.

Sensing a change in the mood that she could not put her finger to, Qi Jianqiu quickly butted in. "Luodi, is that all we're supposed to do? What are we going to do now?" Her face turned sour. "Why don't we understand what's happening at all, Master Jiang?"

"Nope. You're the only one that doesn't understand." Jiang Moyin shook his head seriously.

"What?" Qi Jianqiu widened her eyes, stunned by the sudden 'betrayal'.

Feng Luodi pulled her along as they left the courtyard. "I just need to confirm my speculations. The officials from the yamen would help with that when they arrive. I wonder how Constable Zheng is doing?"

Qi Jianqiu shook her head, still unable to process how the investigation had already reached this point. Beside her, Jiang Moyin's smile broadened, admiration apparent in his eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unbeknownst to the trio, Shun was met by another person at the other end of the courtyard.

"Have you told them what I instructed you to say?"

"Yes I have. I had repeated every single word to them."

"Good. This is for you then."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The trio quickly returned to the room where the bodies were found to meet up with the constable, who arrived promptly with a few officials behind him.

Seeing Jiang Moyin in the room, Constable Zheng quickly bowed to him. "Grand Tutor Jiang." Jiang Moyin nodded at him, and the constable greeted Qi Jianqiu before turning to Feng Luodi.