Chapter 153: The Demonic Sect

Once again, Feng Luodi and Situ set off from Chang'an in the deep of Autumn, heading straight for Dingtao Province. However, many things have changed this time: Chamberlain Feng no longer objected to Feng Luodi's request, Jiang Moyin was now too weak to send her off, and Qi Jianqiu was too busy with her new love. Much has changed in the span of a year.

The Dingtao Province was not far away from Chang'an, the journey taking ten days to reach as they took to the waterways and drifted downstream. The province used to be a natural swampland many years ago, and the lands were riddled with lakes and rivers. Other than their geographic characteristics, the region was known for its peonies and hence, development in the arts. The martial arts were also widely practised in the region, resulting in the formation of many sects of the jianghu amongst the people.

Situ and Feng Luodi travelled along the waterways for nine days, renting a carriage from a small town in the province to head to the richest area of the province, the provincial city. The First Prince and Situ spent most of their time engaged in discussion, leaving Feng Luodi to take in the scenery on her own.

Dingtao had a climate that was cold and dry, forcing Feng Luodi to bundle herself up in a heap of clothes every morning. Thanks to the research she had done about the area prior to the journey, she was looking forward to visiting many places: the Peony Garden, known for being the largest of its kind in the kingdom; the XuanNu Temple  for its uncanny predictions, the tea of the Jade Teahouse, the beauties of the Guzheng Parlour, and the talented gentlemen that regularly gather in the Gallery of Mirages. Perhaps due to Situ's comforting presence, Feng Luodi found herself much more relaxed than usual, even hatching plans to drag Situ on her sightseeing trips with her.

However, her plans were reduced the moment they entered Dingtao.

Dingtao was a developed region, but what they saw reflected the opposite. The streets were virtually empty of pedestrians, and most shops were closed. The doors of houses were half opened, the occasional head that stuck out shooting quizzical glances at them.

"The whole place is so...dead." Feng Luodi was perplexed.

Situ and the First Prince exchanged looks, knowing how hard their job was going to be. The First Prince got out of the carriage and waved to his attendants. He swiftly mounted a horse and rode at the head of the convoy. Immediately, his men started shouting to the people.

"His Majesty understands your fear and has sent an ambassador to investigate the murders of the fifteen magistrates. There is no need to worry; if you have any information on the murders, come to us at the yamen. Your safety will be ensured."

The convoy marched in unison, having undergone training by Situ on their way to Dingtao. The confidence exuded by the First Prince and the convoy reassured the people somewhat and they slowly came out of their houses, examining the convoy up close. The First Prince nodded to himself, satisfied.

Situ and Feng Luodi sat in the carriage, their eyes trained upon the First Prince who sat upright on his steed, his face much sterner than it usually was. His eyes were serious, and his very aura commanded respect. Feng Luodi turned to look at Situ and saw that his dark eyes were practically glowing.

She smiled, but Situ spoke up. "If you have to interact with the prince these days, be clandestine about it."

"Hmm?" Feng Luodi blinked, confused.

"We are being watched." Situ let the drapes fall back into place. Just before the drapes closed completely, his eyes locked onto a spot outside of the carriage and his lips curled upwards into a cold smile.

"Men sent by the Emperor?"

"Not only by the Emperor." Situ shook his head. "That of the other princes as well. This business with Dingtao seems fishy."