Chapter 127: Heartless

Gan Qingjia hummed along to himself as he slowly headed home, filled with happiness. Never did he think that he would fall prey to a girl like her, having always been the predator himself. Now that things were finally on the right track after much effort, he was filled with glee.

"Young master!" The head steward approached him frantically the moment he entered the household. "Please head to the study right now; the Heir and Master are both waiting for you."

"The Heir?" Gan Qingjia's eyes glinted, but quickly reverted to his usual lazy look. "Why would I go over if the Heir is discussing things with Father?"

"But it's something to do with you." The head steward did not hear many details clearly from the outside of the study, but whatever he heard had made him uncomfortable. Things seem to be serious. Too worried to care for the usual pleasantries, the head steward dragged Gan Qingjia towards the study.

"Master, the young master is here." The head steward knocked lightly upon the door.

The Minister of the Left opened the door and looked Gan Qingjia over. He muttered under his breath. "Punk." He let Gan Qingjia in. "Your Highness, my son has returned."

The Heir looked at Gan Qingjia, a light smile on his lips.

"Greetings, your Highness." Gan Qingjia bowed.

"Can I take your bow as your pledge of allegiance towards me? What an important bow for a man like you, the Head of the Villa of Mount Baicha, the man as rich as the kingdom itself." The Heir laughed and motioned for Gan Qingjia to take a seat. The Minister's face changed; he did not expect such directness from the Heir.

"You seem very confident, your Highness." Gan Qingjia was unfazed. "If I was to have this conversation with you as the Head of the Villa, then I will be a man of the Jianghu. I'm sure you know that if there is one thing the men of the Jianghu long for, it is freedom."

The Minister's face changed again; he did not expect Gan Qingjia to admit his identity so quickly, especially without any discussion prior. The Heir's face changed as well; Gan Qingjia's confession threw him off guard and he swallowed his prepared speech.

"Qingjia, you are before the Heir of the Kingdom right now; you are to speak as an official of the court. Mind your manners." The Minister spoke harshly to Gan Qingjia, hoping that his son would understand his hidden intentions.

Gan Qingjia looked at his father with a slight smile on his lips and saw the worry in the Minister's eyes. He turned back to the Heir. "Your time must be very precious, your Highness. Let's just talk openly, or we'd be wasting your time."

The Heir hid the dark look in his eyes and put on his signature warm smile. "I heard that you're close to Miss Qi, Inspector[1.Inspector of the Imperial Granary, the official title of Gan Qingjia's position.]." The Heir paused. "Inspector, you must know that I have feelings for Miss Qi, but yet you continue to woo her. It seems as if your feelings for her run deep indeed."

Gan Qingjia smiled. "You are very observant, your Highness. My feelings towards Jianqiu are as true as the Moon and the Sun. In fact, I was just about to discuss with my father my proposal to the Qi household for her hand in marriage."

The Minister's face was as dark as it could be - not from anger that his son has been harbouring feelings for the daughter of his rival, but for his son's willful provocation of the Heir, knowing that the Heir had intended to win Qi Jianqiu's hand in marriage as well.

Naturally, the Heir was furious, but he kept it well in check. He put his best smile and looked at Gan Qingjia. "I understand your feelings, Inspector. I have a question for you: if you can only choose one between the Villa of Mount Baicha and Miss Qi, which will you choose?"