Chapter 40: Poison

The physician was solemn as he carefully explained his findings. "There has been a sudden increase in the number of patients at the hospital recently, all down with the symptoms of diarrhoea and vomiting. Their age varies from children to the elderly, and the severity of their symptoms depended on the original health of the patients.  However, nothing we've been prescribing have seemed to work so far."

"That's how we came to the conclusion that it wasn't just a simple stomach flu, but that they were being poisoned. Unfortunately, we have yet to confirm the type of poison that they have been drugged with, and that has limited the herbs and medicine that we use in treating the symptoms. The only advice we can give to patients are for them to stay at home, and be careful with the food and water they consume. Strangely enough, just staying at home has alleviated the symptoms for some, yet it remains the same, or worse, for others. This uncertainty is what is causing the rising panic amongst the people."

"I can see that Master Jiang was never truly healthy, for his pulse is weak and irregular. I believe that he has been taking medicine regularly throughout his life, and the over-reliance on external herbs have caused his physical state to be fragile and, in other words, sensitive. That was why I could detect a trace of poison in his system, poison that I believe to be the same as the substance that has afflicted the rest of Chang'an."

"Then don't you already know what poison it is? You can cure it, right?" Feng Luodi's face brightened up a little.

The physician shook his head. "I'm not good enough to treat him. I can only confirm that he has been poisoned with the same drug as the rest of Chang'an, yet at the same time I can detect trace amounts of another poison in his system. I believe that he has been poisoned a long time ago, and the poison was never fully cured. Because of this, I am unable to prescribe him any medication, for fear of it triggering the other poison."

"What?" Feng Luodi turned to face Jiang Moyin's attendant. "Moyin has been poisoned before? When was this?" Feng Luodi looked calm, but one could hear the underlying anger in her voice.

"I'm afraid I don't know anything about that, young miss." The attendant bowed his head. "We haven't spent that much time in the Jiang household. I only knew that Master Jiang has been sickly since young, but was never told the cause of it. It has always been a forbidden topic in the household."

Feng Luodi furrowed her brows.

The physician continued. "Although I cannot confirm what poison it is, but Master Jiang should be fine. He has only vomited blood because of the damage the new poison has done to his Qi. All he needs is rest, and to continue taking his regular medication."

"Fei, please show the physician out." Feng Luodi rubbed her brow, and sat down beside Jiang Moyin, her eyes never leaving his face. For the first time in her life, she felt truly helpless. Having lived for 24 years, and spending two years in the workforce,  her experience had helped her to remain calm when she was told that she was to be transmigrated to another world on a quest. That was what ignited the protective feelings she had for Qi Jianqiu, and that was why she interacted and looked after Scarlet, Jet and Fei as if they were her younger siblings.

However, her calm and logical mind did not provide any help in this situation. Other than her expertise in business and economics, the only other skill she had was her mastery of the zither. I can't use anything that I've learnt to help Moyin, despite me always having to rely on him!

She buried her face in her hands. Why am I so useless?

Fei returned to the room, and seeing Feng Luodi's state, spoke softly to her. "Young miss, the palanquin from the Jiang household is here."

"Okay." Feng Luodi stood up, and looked at Jiang Moyin's attendant. "Please be careful when you bring Moyin back later. Be discreet about his condition as well." She pointed at Li Tengfei. "He'll be sending messages to the Jiang household in the future, whenever it is needed. Please do not bar him outside the gates."